Chinese-Forums

Help me reset my Palm to English

billiardsmike

Computer moron strikes again! I was fiddling with my new Palm Treo 650 and selected "Activate CKJ-OS", or enable, whatever. I figured I would need it for Pleco, etc. Unfortunately, everything is in Chinese and since I'm a beginning student, I can't read enough to figure out how to reset it to English.:oops: Any assistance with minimum laughter would be appreciated!

Almost a year to the day . . .

For reference, Plecodict is selfcontained and does not need CJKOS to run. However, you will need CJKOS for pretty much anything Chinese-related outside of Plecodict. There are also options to use CJKOS for input to Pleco I think, but I don't see why you would need to.

Thanks Roddy. I didn't search back that far. I usually assume that computer advice that old is outdated. Now if I only wasn't using my computer with pirate XP and was able to install the language pack, I could view the characters in the solution. At least I know where to look. Again, thanks.

Ok, I've now turned my localizer on. Step by step to turning it off, without any Chinese characters because you can't see 'em . . .

Find kong4zhi4tai2 (Control board, formerly known as preferences). Looks like an index card, blue top, blue and red dot and two blue lines on it. Tap. You should get a new menu

In the top category there should be two items starting with zhong1wen2 - zhong1wen2 xi4tong4 (Chinese system, or CJKOS) and zhong1wen2 shou3xie3 (Chinese handwriting). You want the system one. Tap it, new set of menus.

Middle tab. Unselect the bottom left option (zhong1wen2hua4). Wait a moment and you should be back to English.

That's all assuming your CJKOS came preinstalled. If it didn't, look for zhong1wen2 xi4tong4 (Chinese system, or CJKOS) in the applications, rather than under preferences.

Beers? I was thinking maybe 10% of the value of that so-nearly-useless Treo? :wink:

How are you finding the Treo, by the way? I've been kind of tempted by combining my phone and PDA (got a Palm TX currently) into a 650, but I think I love the big screen of the TX - I do a lot of PDA reading - and the camera on my current phone a bit too much.

Some 650s come with a camera. Mine seems pretty good so far. Couldn't say about the rest yet. I spoke with a few people who love it and it seemed a better idea for me to use as a mobile learning tool. Much better than carrying phone, camera and dictionary all seperately. I'll let you know as soon as I screw it up, I mean figure it out!