Chinese-Forums

using chinese with german pc

mozza

hi

i just reinstalled my windows xp and now i cant setup the language options anymore. it usually takes 2 minutes (control panel -> regional and language setup -> languages -> install eastasian languages)

when i try now, xp asks me to insert the windows cd. i did but it sais the needed files are not on it. can i download them somewhere and what are they called. before i didnt have to use the cd at all.

thanks for your help

I'm pretty sure the files are only located on the CD ... perhaps you know someone with an XP cd ?

What files is it looking for ?

XP Pro or Home ?

I actually use UNIX not windows but i'm sure i have a windows XP cd around here somewhere, maybe i can ftp the files to you?

If it's a genuine version of windows, the files should be on there. However, even with the genuine version, it seems there is always one file that can't be found, but during installation you can choose to skip this file and then installation should proceed as normal.

mr. stinky: i have the "service pack 2" cd. and i am not in china anymore so whatever i bought would be to expensive here i think:cry and i installed it on a friends computer only some days ago so i could check my emails. it took like 2 minutes and i didnt need a cd.

imron: yes u can skip the files but i stopped skipping them after the 15th time... i think it is all the characters itself.

darkprince: thanks for ur offer but same as above... it would quite a lot of files u d have to ftp me and as i said... i have the cd.

could it be that the guy who reinstalled my system didnt use my windows cd but a different one?

thanks a lot for all your help

Press "Windows Key-Pause/Break" This will bring up the system properties dialog, and that will tell you what version of windows you have installed. You should check that it's the same version as the CD that you are using.

The other thing, is that the files might be on there, it's just that the installer is looking on the wrong directory on the CD. I forget which directory the language files are supposed to be in, but you could try having a browse.