Chinese-Forums

Help required with reading some Chinese websites

HashiriKata

A Chinese website was recommended to me but I can't read it because it doesn't allow copying the words I don't know so that I can look them up in my electronic Wenlin dictionary. To look up many unknown words in each page by identifying-radicals & stroke-counting is just so time-consuming and unpractical. I've been told that I'd need to either switch to Firefox (and installing a plugin) or buy a different electronic dictionary, Dr Eye, in order to read that site. Before making any drastic change, I wonder if there's a simpler method that enables me to read the stuff on websites that don't allow copying.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

I was able to copy and paste stuff fine in Firefox, no plugins needed. If they are doing something to prevent copying and pasting it's probably javascript-based, so turning javascript off temporarily might work. Failing that, View > Source and then look through the code for the text you need.

Hi Roddy,

You're super fast!! I took your advice and disabled all scripting settings. I seem to be able to copy now but I'll have to go back and try out to see which particular scripting that gives the effect.

Thanks Roddy!

PS: I wanted to give you a smilie but clicking on the smilie doesn't work. Is this one of the effect of disabling the scripting?

PPS: I've found out which particular setting needs disabling now. I can even get back the smilies: :):mrgreen::wink::D:tong