Chinese-Forums

Translation?

2wong4words

xingfu is the lower of the two symbols, yes? I was told it was writtin in a more traditional form, and when i asked, the calligraphist told me it ment good fortune. Another source told me it was another form of happiness aside from "pleasure"...anyone else know?

The top character is 幸 xìng, and the second character is 福 fú. Put together, they form the word 幸福 xìngfú, which according to the oxford dictionary means 1) (n) Happiness; well-being 2) (adj) (of one's personal life) happy.

The reason someone would give a meaning of "fortune" would be because the first character, "xing4," generally pertains to luck and fortune. I suppose you could say that this specifically refers to happiness due to fortuitous circumstances (kind of like imron's definition).

imron's definition from dictionary is accurate.

"Xingfu" is the romanization of the 2 characters. The 2 characters together as in the writing mean "Happiness". If anyone tells you that they mean "Fortune", tell them they need to go back to school for some serious re-education!

I can't agree any more.:mrgreen:

幸福 xingfu ... means "fortune" ... sometimes...

i said, sometimes.... :roll:

"Xingfu" is the romanization of the 2 characters. The 2 characters together as in the writing mean "Happiness". If anyone tells you that they mean "Fortune", tell them they need to go back to school for some serious re-education!

:D

domo domo domo. focus on the language. not on the people's re-education, for example, how chinese is used in other countries: 幸福曲奇 = fortune cookie

I can't agree any more.

中文怎么说

i said, sometimes....
No problems, geek_frappa! My post was not aiming at you (but at 2wong4words' absent informers :mrgreen: ). Yes, 幸福 can mean "fortune" in very few specific contexts, but not when it's on its own. That is why I said:
The 2 characters together as in the writing mean "Happiness".