Chinese-Forums

Reverse output from MS Pinyin IME 3.0

elginlye

Hi all,

I'm writing my a Window's application which accepts and displays Chinese characters.

I have a problem where the Chinese characters entered into the IME (e.g one-two-three),

imeinput.jpg

are printed in my application as three-two-one.

consoleoutput.jpg

Doing the same entry using MS Word does not have this problem.

It certainly looks like there is something with my application.

Anyone knows what could be happening? Thanks.

689_thumb.attach

690_thumb.attach

A couple of questions:

1) What programming language are you writing your application in?

2) Is your application an IME enabled application? (ie. are you handling the WM_IME_* windows messages) or are you just letting windows perform the default processing of these messages.

no answer huh... hmmm

well, :D are you concatenating your input or streaming it directly to console? .....

this might be irrelevant as this is what i would do. i would place your characters into an array then use the List.Reverse Method in .NET and figure out your problem later...

:lol:

My application is written in C/C++.

Acting on your tip, I've located that there is a handler for WM_IME_CHAR events.

This handler is receiving WM_IME_CHAR events in reverse order!

This event handling part is written by a 3rd party s/w package

I need to check further how to solve this.

thanks.

Other WM_IME_ message you will find handy are:

WM_IME_STARTCOMPOSITION - sent when the IME is about to start a new composition

WM_IME_COMPOSITION - sent when the composition string of the IME changes

WM_IME_ENDCOMPOSITION - sent when the user ends a composition

One thing to try: in the WM_IME_COMPOSITION message, if the flags (passed via lParam) contain the value GCS_RESULTSTR, then you know the composition has finished. You can then call ImmGetCompositionString (with the index GCS_RESULTSTR), which will return the composition result string as stored by the IME.

This string is what gets converted to individual WM_IME_CHAR messages, and then eventually WM_CHAR messages if an application isn't IME aware. If you can't find where the problem is, you should be able to just copy this string and make sure WM_IME_CHAR messages aren't passed to the DefWindowProc (thereby meaning that no WM_CHAR messages are created). Actually it's probably more efficient to process the input like this, and IMO presents a nicer feel for the user (i.e. long strings are inserted all at once, rather than one character at a time).

Edit: just to clarify, when I say no WM_CHAR messages are created, I only mean for that IME composition string. Input that doesn't use an IME should still generate WM_CHAR messages as normal.