Chinese-Forums

New Palm TX -- Software Advice

fulgentius

I'm about to upgrade to a Palm TX from my Tungsten E.

I already have all I need for specifically learning Chinese (i.e., Plecodict and CJKOS) right now.

But now that I'll have a pda that really can be a mobile office, I'm not sure what other, general software I might want to get. I can't find any information about how well all the various apps (document editors/readers, browsers, email clients, launchers, etc.) deal with Chinese. In fact, since recent reviews are hard to find, I don't even know how they all compare in general.

So, what apps do you use? How well do they deal with characters? How well do they work in general? What are your favorites? Again, I'm mainly wondering about:

document editors and readers

email clients

browsers

launchers

...but I'd be interested in hearing about anything which people particularly like.

Also, if there are any good websites for palm software reviews, that would be great.

Thanks!

Palm TX is a good choice !

To my mind the best application to get is an offline version of the complete wikipedia.

There are a couple of different reader and data packages to be found, some are completely free and some cost you about 30 US $.

In any case you have to invest in a 1-4 GigaB. SD-Card.

For more information in English: here

For more information in German:hier

Ole

The only application I use regularly that didn't come pre-installed is Snapper for email, and that's because Versamail just wouldn't work (my problem I think, not Versamail's, but it was easier to get another app than fix it). I use Docs to Go and Blazer regularly and both handle Chinese fine. I never convert documents though, always keep them in the original .doc format (and only ever work with .docs, can't comment on .xls or .ppt handling).

Important for me is being able to handle multiple word doc email attachments and work with them. Snapper and Docs to Go allows me to do that. Need to point out that I haven't got SMTP working with Snapper, but I think there's a problem somewhere at my end. However if Versamail does all you need it to, just use that.

Blazer works fine with Chinese. I have a display issue noted here, but it's not a big one. Read all of that thread though, it could well save you some headaches.

With Docs to Go supporting Chinese, I just make that my default reader for docs, or if it's something online open it up on blazer and perhaps save it for future use. TealDoc is another one that works if you need it - perhaps handy as it works with TealAgent, which can be useful. I don't know any other Chinese-supporting document reader.

Launchers - ZLauncher is good if you want to make things a bit more customizable, and its file manager is very useful (though Filez is free and perhaps even better), but it's not essential. Palm's set up works fine.

All the above apps are compatible with Plecodict's Instant Access.

I have version 7, which just happened to be what came with my TX. Looks like the professional version judging by that chart. Interesting to note that the next version up has PDF support - anyone actually used it? I'd download a trial version but don't want to risk messing up my current install. I think any version will support Chinese, but CJKOS is essential.