Chinese-Forums

Help please with a translation

Guest therealj

Hi my daughter has a great interest in chinese culture and I was wanting to get her a painting of her name in Chinese for her upcoming birthday, can someone please tell me if this is an accurate translation, and if not maybe point me in the right direction. Her name is Alexis

thank you

Jason

name.jpg

The transliteration you have is written in simplified Chinese. I would think that it would look better in traditional Chinese. The same characters written in traditional Chinese are like this (I am not sure if you can read them) -

艾麗西絲

The four characters mean 1) young/pretty 2) beautiful 3) west 4) silk.

Jason, what the contributors have offered is a *transliteration* of the name, not a translation. In English, the name Alexis consists of three syllables, a ... lek ... sis. Apart from the first, these syllable sounds are not available in Chinese (in the same way as "ktlap" is not available in English, even though it could be in some language like Hungarian or something for all I know).

艾麗西絲 would be pronounced ai-li-xi-si (that's Pinyin: try reading eye-lee-she-suh out as if it was English and you'll get a rough idea of the sound). Not perfect, but about as close to Alexis as you're going to get.

Then Quest suggested that in Chinese 艾麗西施 (eye-lee-she-shuh) is a prettier name to Chinese ears/eyes. Also, Calvin thought that 艾麗克西絲 (eye-lee-kuh-she-suh) would be better because it has the 'k' sound that is present in Alexis (because 'x' is really 'k' + 's').

The name Alexis actually means "Defender of Mankind", apparently. If you wanted that in Chinese it obviously wouldn't come out sounding anything like Alexis.