Chinese-Forums

Applying for US visa in China

johnd

We want to visit the US for Christmas. I need a US visa because my passport is not machine readable (thanks UK Embassy), and my wife has a Chinese passport. I've already spent half a day trying to understand the application procedure from the US Embassy website, and now I've got a headache. America seems to be ahead in the bureaucratic arms race!

First you need to pre-pay RMB54 for 12 minutes just to phone them to ask questions and make an appointment. Then you need to pay $100 application fee (not including visa fee). I'm not sure if I should pay the $100 before I phone for an appointment. Also not sure if both English and Chinese application forms should be completed, or just English. Ay-aa.

Maybe it would be easier for me to get a new UK passport and China residency permit, or maybe not!

Does anyone have any tips to share? How long did it take to get your visa? :help

If you're in Shenzhen, you live in the Guangzhou consulate district, so you will need to go here for information. Just start at the top of the page, and work your way down. To determine the projected processing time, there is a nifty State Department resource to do so.

The English version of the application should be sufficient for you. You might want to contact the information center (see the consulate's website, above) to determine if your wife needs a specific version of the application.

Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my visa to the US last month. In fact RMB36 for 8 minutes is enough to make an appointment. the $100 should be paid BEFORE you GO FOR the visa interview. if you go to Guangzhou for your visa, English application forms is OK. you can get your passport back with the visa 2 or 3 days later.

Thanks for your reply. I decided to get a new passport instead of apply for the visa.

My wife got the appointment in 2 days, and has just been refused. We prepaired so many documents, then she met a shitty faced officer and got rejected in one minute. I'm so f###ed off.

They don't believe her salary documents. She runs her family company so I'd say that she is not payed in the "normal" way. In her Chinese family money is often shared this way and that.

And she had lost her old passport that contained all the visas of the other places she'd been.

To be honest, I thought the fact we were married would be enough. I'm still spitting with rage