Chinese-Forums

Men in my dorm apartment - is it allowed?

Kiwijes

Im a female who will be living in an apartment at the school i'll be teaching at. I have a few male friends who will be passing through China while i'm there and who i'll want to catch up with.

Because i'm living in the school grounds, Im just wondering if it will be an issue to have my friends spend a few nights on my apartment floor? I just wonder if schools generally have a problem with this? I dont want to have to sneak them in!! Thanks!

Yes, it's allowed.

Just tell them in advance. They will deal with it. Your friends may have to register with the local cops. That is routine. You are meant to register anywhere you stay,even for one night. The college will be more interested in covering their own arses than anything else.

Sneaking them in is a bad idea and illegal!

You might, if you have a particularly awkward adminstration, have problems but you really shouldn't. Just give a bit of advance notice and if they give you any trouble be firm that you are living there and it is reasonable to have guests. In some cases you may be asked to pay, but I'd resist that quite strongly.

• 2 weeks later...

My school just added a term in their contract saying that you may not "live" with someone of the opposite sex (it was actually under the "prostitution" section of the contract:roll: , and only in the foreign teachers' version...how insulting can they get). My boss said it could be applied to guests, even during the daytime, which of course is stupid. Make sure you check your contract to avoid any problems, as well as asking the administration.