Chinese-Forums

geek_frappa

Nice concept linking to flicker photo's and including sound files. However, most of the photo's that I saw have little to no association with the word it represents. It would be much, much, much better to also include the English definition!!! Otherwise, this essentially duplicates the "feature" of the Rosetta Stone product that frustrates many of its users. Also, the speech feature sounds scratchy and the pronunciation is only by character rather than by word. Would be great if these issue were addressed.

As I just looked over my previous comments, I thought I should clarify that I DO LIKE the concept of this. And it will be really great if and when the pictures become more symbolic of the words they represent (or perhaps I just had bad luck with my random test selections). As I mentioned, I found the Rosetta Stone product to have the same deficiency, and it's a very expensive product, indeed, so I guess it must be difficult to do. However, including English translations mitigates that problem. I also recognize that picture/image selection is a very subjective area, except where you can select universally known images, such as the handicap symbol for the word 残障 (can2zhang4) "handicapped." It takes a great deal of research or, better yet, user community participation. I don't know how the pictures are currently selected, but is it possible to have a system where users vote for the images, and the system dynamically selects the image with the greatest number of votes? Web democracy at work, in a sense. However you do it, if you can solve this problem, then you will have succeeded where Rosetta Stone, in my opinion, has failed. I hope these comments are taken as constructive suggestions for a potentially very useful tool.