Chinese-Forums

Moving to southern China - advice requested

kzel81

Hi all,

Hoping that anyone who has experience in moving to and living in China can give me a few pointers. I plan on moving to southern China from Australia next year as an English teacher.

Any information on what I should bring, and any general advice, tips and even warnings would be appreciated.

Also, I have heard that it can be difficult to transfer money back to a native country account - can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,

Kris

No special advise for the south. Just remember the climate in summer is tropical, very wet and humid. So leave your leather stuff at home, otherwise it will become "fur" in no time.

And whereever in China, have a close look at personal safety. China is fairly unsafe. Pickpocketing in rampant, muggeries happen too a lot.

China is fairly unsafe.

I have never felt unsafe in China. Certainly, I feel safer here than I do at home in London. Sure there is some pickpocketing and "muggeries", but it is not such a problem. Take normal precautions and you will be fine.

I agree with Kiwijes. It would help if you were more specific about your desttination. "South China" covers a lot of different places and different potential requirements.

To send money back you need to get the proper forms from the tax office and do it through the bank of China. You can only send 70% of what you earn, which isn't going to be much once it get's back to your native country.

I wouldn't say China is that dangerous. Like any country you're fairly safe unless you do something to cross someone.

Kzel81 - I would love to teach wherever you are going as they must pay a fair wack if you can send money home!! My salary is peanuts.

I find China to be really safe. Just take the basic precautions like dont leave your wallet in plain view, and dont pick a bar fight with a gang member! I feel safer on the streets of Beijing at 3am than I do on any street in New Zealand!