Chinese-Forums

a year in kunming

jeffofarabia

i am seriously thinking of taking a year off to learn chinese. i was wondering if anyone in kunming could give me an indicator of how much i would need for one year. i am a teacher, and have a bit of money saved, but don't really want to spend it all. i would love to have my own apartment near a university. i wouldn't mind teaching a little on the side, but nothing full time, since i really want to learn chinese.

thanks,

jeff

If you are coming from earning a western salary, money shouldn't be a concern. GBP500 a month should see you through without having to teach.

When I lived in Kunming I rented a fantastic 3 bed apartment with a mate, 10 mins walk from cui hu - 1500 rmb a month (750 each) - about GBP100 (50). Beer's cheap, food's cheap, studying is cheap. If you wanna teach, get in with the Korean families who pay rmb100 an hour or more to teach spoiled kids english. Teaching at a school is crap money . . . . but probably in line with living costs.

Kunming's cool. Kinda miss it. Too many western male losers though.

thanks for the replies. i would like a place near ynu, where i am thinking of going. i have lived in china before, in beijing, so i know i can easily live on 6000 rmb a month (before rent). so should i expect to pay 1000 rmb a month for a flat?

where is a good place to go without foreign losers? wait a minute that might be me. i am also considering sizhuan.

if you absolutely need a luxurious place near ynu and green lake, expect to pay

2-3000 rmb per month. you will, however, be living in the central loser laowei zone.

walk 15 minutes, or a ten-minute 1 rmb bus ride, and you can find a nice apartment

for 750-1000 per month in a gated community where you can still immerse in the

language. 1000 should get you three bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bath

with h2o heater and porcelain buddha.

1000/month excluding rent should be more than sufficient.

hey mr. stinky,

are most apartments furnished? i would really just like a one bedroom near the campus (10 minutes in a bus is normal, i used to commute 45 minutes to central beijing, and that was no big deal).

i really want to learn chinese better, but i don't mind laowei. i am one myself.

cheers,

jeff

not all are furnished. the expensive ones near green lake are furnished, complete with

plasma tv's and dvd players, etc. elsewhere some are, some are not, but i think you

pay higher rent for furnished. unless you're renting a premium space, the furnishings

aren't always that comfortable, and may be in sad shape. the additional rent over the

course of a year will be more than the cost of new furnishings, and who wants a used

chinese bed anyway? here's some local prices:

new wooden bed with headboard 320, decent mattress 400. used fridge 500-600.

dual-tub washing machine 600. used and/or surplus sofa and chairs 500-1000.

tv 500-1000, basic dvd player starts at 150. used wooden table/4 chairs 250.

h20 heater (if your place has solar) starts at 600. h20 dispenser starts at 85.

high output space heater 800, smaller heaters start at around 350.

there are a couple decent furniture shops near the unis, and you'll often see flyers

at the cafes for students selling their household goods. not far from that area is a

large used furniture zone, near the flea market. trishaw delivery rates run 20-50 per

load.