Chinese-Forums

IME chinese-how to make it work?

goldie

i'm not very technical and so far, the only method of inputting hanzi into a word doc for me has been to use MDBG, but i find it quite annoying sometimes, especially as it doesn't always have the zi that i want. so, i downloaded the IME for chinese simplified and traditional and thought i should be able to use it, but i can't figure out how. i open word and select chinese prc or whatever and nothing happens when i type pinyin? :help

thanks. that does help and i can toggle between the language options now, but for some reason, my chinese option is linked to the microphone and not to the keyboard. so when i type pinyin, it just stays as pinyin...:roll:

another thing, when i am in word and try to use the language option, word just decides that it has to close for no reason, EVERY single time. this wasn't happening when i didn't[ have the language options. AIYO!

my chinese option is linked to the microphone and not to the keyboard

sounds like something in the control panels.

Might look around in Settings/Control Panel/Regional and Languages Options

Languages Tab

click Details

look under Chinese (PRC)

or whatever you have. See if there is a microphone and if so, can you turn it off, or possibly add the keyboard.

just a guess

Don't know about the fact that Word always shuts down. Maybe it thinks your keyboard input after you select Chinese is microphone input and freaks out.

I have installed the IME that lets you input Traditional Characters by pinyin, but the input box is tiny (My screen is 1600*1200 resolution), and I could only use it with a magnifying glass. Has anyone found anyway to resize the IME input box itself? I need to see the various character options better...

i'm having no luck using the IME for either of the Chinese options. when i type pinyin, it doesn't provide any link to hanzi options. when i try to select the language as Chinese using the alt-shift button, it immediately says 'word has encountered a problem and has to close'. :x

i'm just going to stick with MDBG.