Chinese-Forums

Translation of 4 words...

peraklo

Hello...

this is my first post and im going right in :oops:

i need 4 characters (words) for a tattoo... the words are love, family, honor, faith (religion)...

i have some ideas i came up with on the internet, and im just looking for someone to verrify/correct those... dont want the sign that says "public toilet" on my arm :D

so, my ideas:

family

family.jpg

or

zoku_family.gif

faith/religion

faith_1.jpg

or

faith.jpg

honor

honor.jpg

love

love.jpg

so, if you think something is wrong, please tell me where to find the correct picture... there are 2 pics each for family and religion, so maybe you could tell me which one is correct...

if it is possible, i would like 1 character representing each term, but, i have room to put 2 characters only for family, if it is necessary, as i found on thic pic:

family.gif

once again, thanks in advance...

for love - most accurate

for family - accurate and I am considering about

for faith/religion - I think it's fine, for may make people misunderstand that's teaching

for honor - That's the problem. I think 义 should be righteousness. Why not consider or

so, in your reply im getting that everything except honor is usable in the manner i am thinking of? what is the meaning of your concideration about family?

and, as for honor, what does that what i pasted mean, and what do those 2 signs you suggested mean?

thanks

ok, i see you were refering to one of theese signs:

honor.gif

so, what does each one mean? on the website where i found this it says "Good name; reputation"... but that is more of a eastern "deeper" understanding of the term "honor"... i guess im looking for a more shallow, western understanding :-)

Gulao, you are referring to "family" sign, right? now when i think of it, this proposal is very good... i indeed am more thinking of people in my family rather than "home", ie the place where i am living with them...

qingfeng, can you explain the meaning of that sign?

To all, where we landed on that honour sign :mrgreen: ?

Thanks again

but that is more of a eastern "deeper" understanding of the term "honor"... i guess im looking for a more shallow, western understanding :-)

So would you mind telling us what is your western understanding on honor?:mrgreen:

I looked up honor in dictionary:

1.High respect, as that shown for special merit; esteem:

2.Good name; reputation.

3.Glory or recognition; distinction.

4.A title conferred for achievement.

5.Nobility of mind; probity.

6.High rank.

7.Great privilege:

8.Principled uprightness of character; personal integrity.

9.A woman's chastity or reputation for chastity.

Which one?

im going with that "something" samurai thought of when commiting hara-kiri... its the highest principle of life for me... im guessing it would be somewhere in the middle of all the things you have mentioned... i really dont know...

can u explain those 2 signs u suggested and i replyed with the picture?

And, maybe, can you come up with something with the stuff i have just written?

If no, maybe i will start a poll to see which of the signs will the majority here on forum select?

thanks again and sorry for ignorance...

To me, 親 is more like relatives, and 家 is more like family. If you were talking about a person, compare in English "he is my relative", and "he is family", so although 家 also means home, to me it feels closer than 親. Perhaps a native speaker can give their opinion?

yes, native speakers opinion would be much apriciated :D

As for family, i am looking for a sign that would represent itself something like "Godfather" or italian mobsters use in the phrase: "You cant go against family!"... people that are closest and most important to me, my blood, so to speak...

Okey, final sugestion for u:

family:親

love: 愛

faith: 信

honor: 義

I feel what you do want is actually 義.

As for 榮譽, the word mean honor, even you divide them up, both or them also own the meaning of honor.

Would mind telling us your final choice?:)

• 8 months later...

親 ren = parents, or relatives [the intended meaning depends on context]

and

家 ren* = family members

*ren = character meaning "person/people"

I don't have Chinese software, so I can't put it here.

義 = righteous/righteousness