Chinese-Forums

hot springs in kunming

jeffofarabia

There are [POP=wen1 quan2 hot springs]温泉[/POP] in nearby [POP=An1 ning4 city name]安宁[/POP] about an hour outside of Kunming. I visited the town once for a lantern festival but didn't get a chance to try the springs, but I understand they're pretty popular with locals. I've tried springs in another little town outside of Chengdu and they were okay, so I imagine the ones in Anning are pretty similar. My China hot springs experience was pay 100 yuan ($12) a nite during peak holiday season. The hot springs were in a swimming pool outside with 3 different levels for 3 different temperatures. Some of the hot springs were kind of smelly fromthe minerals. i imagine the Japanese and Chinese hot springs experiences would be different, though.

A write-up on this page says there is a Japanese style spa there though:

Well, Anning is a town about 70 km out of Kunming and it's known for its hot water springs and many resorts. When you go there, you will see the whole tourist infrastructure is based on that and the quality differs extremely from one spa to another. During daytime, the town is quite sleepy and few people there are on the streets. The only resort I saw worth to visit and pay for that was the Japanese style spa. A bit expensive, though, but among the pile of resorts really the nicest one. There you enjoy bathing in beautiful surrounding of pine forest, different kinds of water in few pools in a shadow of trees and bush. Nvere got really crowded, despite the prize (about 80 yuan for a day/person) Worth to spend at least a day there, so I reccomend it for a daytrip...

Directions: Go by local bus from Kunming west-bus station

If you google it there's considerably more info available in Chinese.

There are lots of hot springs in and around Kunming. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to notice they are hot springs, as they have been built into swimming pools. For example in Kunming there is the Xinan Wenquan on Xichang Lu - but it looks and feels just like a normal swimming pool.....

The hot springs in Anning don't compare at all with the ones in Japan. I went to several different places in Anning when I lived in Kunming, but never found a hot spring that was hot enough. It was also quite annoying if somebody was smoking in the same pool as me, or one nearby. If you want something similar in quality to Japan, and want to speak Chinese doing it, Taiwan would be a much better option.