Chinese-Forums

Managing bookmarks for audio/video files

carlo

Like many language learners I like watching TV shows, films, 电视剧 etc (currently watching 省委书记 by the way, very educational if you ever happen to be in business with the government). If I run across an unfamiliar phrase, I stop the playback and write the word down. The problem with this method is that after a while I may forget the context in which the word was used, and revising means having to watch the episode all over again, which is very inefficient.

Some multimedia players have a 'bookmark' function that can be used to jump directly to a desired scene. What would be useful is a video player with some kind of advanced bookmark management system that supports something like 'bookmarks.txt' files, consisting of a list of segments (like, 01:02:03-01:02:13) and titles (the keywords). The player would have to be accurate (cut-off times have to be precise). And ideally it would allow you to play back *only* the bookmarked sections in succession, so that you could go over the unfamiliar vocabulary in each one-hour episode by jumping automatically to each bookmarked location.

It doesn't sound like an unreasonable requirement, maybe out there there is freeware that does this already. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm using Media Player Classic and the Chinese 豪杰超级解霸, no luck so far. I've heard about Zoom Player, would that work?