Chinese-Forums

那 and 哪 pronunciation

Hero Doug

I'm just wondering if someone could give me a bit of clarification about this.

From what I know I can say either na or nei for both. But is it better and to say na or nei for specific terms.

Like use na for that, and nei for which, or does it just a matter of preference.

From what I know I can say either na or nei for both.

yes.

na in south.

nei in north.

But is it better and to say na or nei for specific terms.

Like use na for that, and nei for which, or does it just a matter of preference.

it is the same sorta thing as using 儿 at the end ... 一点 .... 一点儿 .... ... either works for me... this is a good question, btw. i hope i gave the right answer...

said fire ant to the rock: 洗手间怎么走 ... the rock replied: over there, jabroni

na in south.

nei in north.

Probably right. (but not convinced)

Anyway,

I can say either na or nei for both

That's right. Here are some details:

那 (na4) for that

1) Its most standard pronunciation is na4 at any time.

2) when 那 appears singly meaning 那(么) , it must be na4.

e.g.

那我们走吧。

那你真的不要它了?

3) followed by nouns, numerals and measure words, 那 can be pronounced as na4 or ne4 or nei4. In oral, ne4 and nei4 are commoner.

e.g.

那三只兔子真可爱。

那小子挺帅的!

4)Especially 那阵子,那个,那会(儿),那些 and 那样 could be pronounced as nei4 or ne4; 那么,那么点(儿),那么些 and 那么着 could be pronounced as ne4.

哪 (na3)for which or where

1)Used singly, it must be na3.

e.g.

哪(儿)? where?

2) Followed by nouns, numerals and measure words, 哪 is often pronounced as nei3 or nai3 in oral.

e.g.

哪三只兔子啊?

你说的是哪个小子啊?

3)Especially 哪个,哪会(儿),哪门子,哪些 and 哪样 could be pronounced as nei4 or nai4.

4) When 哪 is used in a rhetorical question, it must be na3.

e.g.

没有他妻子的帮助,哪有他今天的成功?

那 can mean and be pronounced as 哪, but not vice versa. 哪 is a relatively new character. The pronounciation of nei3 is a result of the combination of 哪一 (na3 yi1) which when spoken fast, morphs into a single syllable of nei3. Over time, nei3 has become an acceptable pronounciation of 那/哪.

On a similar vein, 那 can be pronounced as nei4, which is a combination of 那一(na4 yi1).

Just to add a follow up comment. In order for 那 to be pronounced as nei4/nei3 and 哪 to be pronounced as nei3, the sentence must work just as well if you substituted 那一 or 哪一 in there. The same goes for 這, which can be pronounced as zhei4, but only if you can replace it with 這一 and the sentence still works.

The answers to this question have confused the matter. The formal pronunciations are na3 and na4; the colloquial pronunciations are nei3 and nei4.

It is nothing to do with north vs. south. And: it is not just that the characters have a choice of 2 pronunciations; the 2 pronunciations belong to 2 different registers of speech.

Generally, 那 pronouced na; often used in a statement

whereas, 哪 pronouced nei; often used in a question.

But, the two can both use these two pronunciations at some situations, it's not a big question. Just like westerners can pronounce INTEREST as tr or t-r

Any other question,plz go to echineseonline, u can find me by my name: Helen

My pleasure to help you

• 2 weeks later...

那means the thing you already know, and you want to show someone or ask someone what is that means?

哪means there are a lot of things and you want to know which is the correct one

for example:

1.那個是什麼東西? what is that thing?

2.哪本書? which book?

• 2 weeks later...

1. nei is used when 那/哪 is used as specifier, e.g. usually followed by a number or measure word 那个/那几个, 哪国人, 哪本书. In fact, "nei" is a blend originally from "na"+"yi". Same is true with 这zhe, or zhei (=zhe+yi). These blend forms are more common in colloquial use. The formal style would use "na"/"zhe"

2. If you are unsure which should be used, just stick to "na" and "zhe".