Chinese-Forums

Myspace Not Working??

Prodigal Son

Is Myspace not working for anyone else in mainland China? I've tried with several profiles on several computers and can't get any of them to open anyone elses profile - I simply get a 404 Page Not Found Error.

What gives? This has been happening for well over a week now. :cry:

To clarify: I can login and view messages and friends requests but can't see anyone elses profile. You're not experiencing this?

Here's a bulletin I just found posted on myspace:

Chinese government blocked myspace's profiles in China

Body: From various sources, for more than a week the Chinese government has blocked myspace's profiles in China, this means that if you live in China no matter if you are Chinese or foreigner, you can't access any of myspace's profiles.

Why has the Chinese government blocked myspace profiles in China?

According to its previous oppresive behaviors like this, there are four reasons for them to block myspace's profiles:

Firstly, myspace is a very popular Website for communication with others, it has more than 120 millions users, so the Chinese government assumes that myspace can have an important impact on Chinese who have English proficiency. These Chinese who are surfing in myspace are mostly highly-educated people in China besides foreighers living in China.They don't want these high-educated people to freely communicate with Westerners or with each other, they are afraid that people in myspace would come up with social gatherings which may threat their communist dictatorship ruling in the future. So they blocked myspace's profiles in order not to let users in China meet more friends, this behavior is very mean and immoral.

Secondly, following the advanced block technology in China, the Chinese government has owned the technique blocking only one function in which they intend to not let international world blaming them severely, when you ask why they block myspace, they will say that they don't block myspace, you can browse myspace, but in fact they block mysapce's key function of profiles which you can't meet more friends if you are already a registered users, if you are willing to register in mysapce in China, then you can't register any more. This way the Chinese government limits the expansion of myspace in China.

Thirdly, the Chinese government is afraid that these highly-educated people in China have wide relations with Westerners, they are afraid that when they do bad things in China, these high-educated people who have close relations with Westerners will tell their Western friends what have been happening in China, so the news will spread quicky which the Chinese government don't want this to happen.

Fourthly, the Chinese government may want to use this blockage to force myspace to give some compromises, only myspace higher officials know what is really happening now.

Now myspace is trying to solve this issue, they tell the Chinese that they need patient, no one is for sure how long the blockage in China will be unlocked.

If you care about the chinese rights in mysapce, please re-post this bulletin in your bulletins, most of Chinese would very appreciate this, thank you very much!

Thirdly, the Chinese government is afraid that these highly-educated people in China have wide relations with Westerners, they are afraid that when they do bad things in China, these high-educated people who have close relations with Westerners will tell their Western friends what have been happening in China, so the news will spread quicky which the Chinese government don't want this to happen.

If myspace is taken from us then I vote that we mind-corruping westerners invade QQ! Why wait for the English speaking Chinese find us since we can speak Chinese too! wahahaha

actually, it's not really necessary, someone wrote me this

myspace 最近是有问题.好象是政府把它给锁了.不过你可以复制你朋友的网页就使用了.比如http://www.myspace.com_______ 就可以了.

I tried, it worked! We'll save invading QQ in mass droves for later...