Chinese-Forums

Tattoo Quality in China

ms2002sss

I am thinking of getting a Tattoo done in China as they are much cheaper than in the UK. My concern is the quality/hygienic issues.

Has anyone got had a tattoo done in both the UK and China? How do they compare?

I ask because my father has tattoos done in the UK during the 70's and they are faded and dull. When I had mine done in the UK a few years back one of the shops selling point was "new style" tattoo ink which is brighter and never fades.

Another concern is weather the hygiene is up to standard, in Hunan to be specific.

In short, is China's tattooing cutting edge and hygienic?

I had two coloured-tattoos done in Canada about 6 years ago and they are both still very clear.

I had a coloured-tattoo done in Hangzhou 2 years ago and it's quite faded. It was also very painful from the beginning till the end. The art work is fantastic, however I'm disappointed with it now.

Unless you're getting a black-inked tattoo done, based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend getting one done out here. However, I might have been unlucky and went to the wrong tattoo place.

I was wondering about this too actually...

The only tatoo I'd consider getting would be a Song Dynasty Lyric (poem), and I don't know how I feel about an American trying to scratch all that chinese out. ;p Plus I figure a Chinese could do some calligraphy or at least know how to arrange the lyric's lines.

Beijing has some decent tattoo shops. I got 2 done here last year at mummy tattoo in TongLi studios (behind sanlitun)

I took my own artwork there and the guy had no problem putting it all on my skin. The quality rivals that of the tattoos i had done in the USA albeit more expensive.

got 2 done here last year at mummy tattoo in TongLi studios (behind sanlitun)

I also have heard that mummy tattoo is really good. A friend got one done there last year and was really impressed with not only the quality but the cleanliness as well.

Can anyone recommend any good places in Shanghai? I hate it when I see people around here in NZ with rubbish "chinese" tattoo's that have no meaning to them (and are generally incorrect). I would like mine to be as authentic as possible so any recomendations in Shanghai would be great!!

There are some wicked tattooists in China. There is a really good article on the net about 'China Ink' or something like that 'Mr Happy' (you'll have to check that, i read it a while ago) in Beijing is meant to be one of the best, and there is a guy here in Qingdao who is the bollocks, really well known locally and his artwork is excellent. I definitely recommend getting Chinese designs done otherwise there isnt that much point apart from the few quid you'll save. I have seen some really shit tattoos done here as well, look like they've been scratched in with a biro, i'd take a bit of time researching try and see a bit of the work they've done before. I went to this guys studio for a couple of months before i got mine done. But from what ive seen and read some of the best tattooists in the world are in China. As for hygiene just make sure their using new needles straight out the packet which i'm sure they will be.