Chinese-Forums

When is one ready for HSK?

G - Steven

Hi everyone,

I've been learning Chinese (mandarin, that is) for quite some time now and I am way past the order-a-drink-ask-for-directions basic stuff. I can read headlines on a Chinese online newspaper and make an educated guess as to what it says. My ultimate goal is to get a HSK certificate. However, Im not sure when someone is ready for HSK. I tried looking up some sample tests, but i cant find em anywhere. I've seen links to the official HSk site, but that links seems to be dead. I'd like to hear from someone who did an HSK, when is one ready for the basic level test??

I'm nowhere near ready for the HSK myself, and haven't looked into at all, but...

I seem to remember hearing in one episode of Chinesepod.com they mentioned that their "Advanced" was roughly equivalent to the HSK Intermediate.

Not solid information, I know, but hopefully this will help a little.

Magores

I seem to remember hearing in one episode of Chinesepod.com they mentioned that their "Advanced" was roughly equivalent to the HSK Intermediate.

Reminds me of when I quizzed staff at a Chinese school here why their 'advanced' class was using a textbook clearly marked 'Intermediate'. "For our students, it is advanced." Unfortunate byproduct of that fact that a) not that many people reach a genuinely advanced level and B) training providers want to give a sense of progress to keep people coming back.

Anyway, when are you ready for the HSK? Keep trying the website, it comes and goes, have a look at the sample questions and see what you think. From what you've said I think you could have a shot at the elementary-intermediate exam, but bear in mind that because that exam covers everything from low-elementary up to upper-intermediate, it can look very intimidating even to someone entirely capable of a decent elementary pass.

There's also the foundation (基础) exam - if you are new to language exams or would prefer to tackle something easier first to build up a bit of confidence, it might be a good idea to start there. Problem is the relatively lack of training materials.

Yeah, I went along to the Manchester Chinese Centre (UK) so called ADVANCED class today. They plan to use the third book of a series the centre prefers. The book STILL had the pinyin in it!!!! I was sooooo dissapointed as this has been my second try at finding a suitable class in this area. :cry: Advanced as a term to describe language level is really open to subjective interpretation by the institution. Of course, it aids motivation of the students within that system to progress, but it does not transfer across to other books/schools etc.

My solution may be to pay for the pricey one to one. However for the HSK, I seem to remember there is a mention in the official HSK bumf somewhere about the number of hours you have studied as a guide to participation in the examination or not. Maybe on the website? Or in the booklet they give you when you register?

There is also a new "Threshold" (入门) test, which is easier than the Basic. As Roddy said, if you can get the website to work (right now it seems amazingly slow), you should be able to do the practice tests (to see which level seems best for you), and get some info about that new Threshold test.

Here is some info about it in Chinese:

http://www.hsk.org.cn/Intro_hsk0.htm

And English:

http://www.hsk.org.cn/english/Intro_hsk0.htm

You're kidding? I can't believe they've introduced another low level test yet have not yet split the elementary and intermediate exams. I do believe the HSKs, as standalone exams, are fairly well designed. But look at the mess you get when you look at them as a set . ..

HSK Threshold: Less than 200 hours (at least this means that everyone is now ready to take the HSK)

which overlaps with

HSK Basic: 100 to 800 hours

which overlaps with

HSK Elem / Int 400 to 2000

and then there's a 1000 hour gap till

HSK Advanced: Over 3000.

I know there was talk some time ago of making that split, but it seems to me they've become obsessed with introducing new exams rather than making much needed reforms to the current stable.

@Cellofallon: That does sound daft, but what else are they going to do? Have an upper-upper-upper elementary class? Also, would be nice if you can take a break from cello-playing to tell us what you thought of the Manchester classes besides level issues.

But look at the mess you get when you look at them as a set . ..

It does seem a bit odd. But then again, most people who study Chinese worldwide are probably at the begining stages. I haven't taken the Basic, but I feel that studying for the other tests really was worthwhile because the HSK test makers really are good at figuring out the most useful stuff to learn, and also testing common weaknesses.

So, perhaps studying for the Treshold or the Basic would give a newbie a good point of orientation in the confusing initial stages. I don't know. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has taken either of these tests, and curious to know if studying for it was of much practical use.

I can't believe they've introduced another low level test yet have not yet split the elementary and intermediate exams.

That is amazing. Most people who need a score, I think, end up taking the Elem/Int. So, the problems with this test should be concern #1. However,I'm not really sure how practical seperating it would be. If, say, they had a test that tested from levels 3-6, and another testing from 6-8, they might have massive amounts of advanced learners taking the 3-6, and killing the curve. And if then became very easy to get a 6, then colleges and employers might devalue a 6 over 7's and 8's.

Or if they made it just 3-5, perhaps few people would want to take that test because a 6 seems to be of more value than a 5.

In the end, although they need to reform the bread and butter test, I'm not sure how they would go about doing it. :conf

I'm finding that studying for the HSK is what's making me ready to take the HSK--the quality and quantity of vocabulary and formal grammar structures you learn from the prep material is really valuable, and very different than the stuff you learn in textbooks. It's real world writing on complex-ish topics, the kind of stuff you would find in a science magazine or a non-fiction book. I'm actually not taking the test until spring, so I've still go a long way to go. But anyway, I would say start working on it and playing with practice tests, and it will really help your reading level. The vocab I've been learning through HSK prep has been helping my speaking and listening too, so in my opinion it's worth starting even if you're *not* ready. If you're like me, it will be painfully hard at first but quickly get easier as you absorb the sentence structures, question structures, and vocab.

OK, I have to ask: What is HSK? I have googled it, gotten everything from Chinese characters, which are unreadable for me, to definitions which have nothing to do with chinese (Biology, medicine, unmentionables).

Anyone care to take a moment to explain this to me, or point me to an English definition?

Thanks, Ron. So if one were to interview for a job in China one might have to prove proficiency in Chinese. Does this test have both oral and written components to it?

Side question: where do modern day students of the Chinese language start: with the characters, or with the audio pronunciation?

Is there a thread which answers these questions? I looked at what seemed like the most obvious forums here but did not find an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

HSK is short for pinyin of 汉语水平考试 which is also called"the Chinese Proficiency Test". It is a test of Chinese proficiency for those non-native Chinese speakers.But I haven't taken that exam. There is new test called"C.TEST" which has been held 4 times already. It is also reserached and developed by HSK center. Next year there will be 4 tests. I am very interested in this test as it is introduced as "Chinese Toeic". I personally think it is very useful for foreigners who want to find jobs in China.Unfortunately,I 've missed the last one this year and have to wait for the next one whose testing date hasn't been fixed. In addition, I heard that C.TEST will offer a certificate and Diagnosis report to candidates. It is said that the report is pretty helpful to examinees as all the standard answers and examinee's answers have been printed on it. But I am more interested in the information of my position and others' performance of the test which is also on it :D I believe it is suitable for me who doesn't have a clear recognition of my Chinese ability.(I really think I am very bad in listening which turns out to be exhausting news in that C.TEST focuses more on Chinese LIstening!!!) All above is what I know about C.TEST and HSK. And you could find more information through tel 8230-3672.