Chinese-Forums

plecodict instant access, what am I missing?

kudra

OK, I am finally getting around to trying to figure out how to use instant access.

My understanding is that if I turn on Instant Access inside Preferences/Characters, then from other apps, I can pull up definitions from pleco as follows: Say I am using blazer. I highlight a character. Write a line in the abc box from southwest to north east, and I pull up a command line with a pleco icon. I tap the pleco icon, and it should pull up the pleco entry for that character.

What happens, is I tap on the pleco icon, and I get the pleco definition of the last character I was looking at while in the plecodict app. I can copy and past, but I thought the point was to avoid those extra steps.

I am guessing there is some option somewhere that I haven't turned on. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Preferences > Characters > tick Use clipboard and that should do it.

While you are there, it's worth setting up the Instant Access from button press option - tick 'from button press' then tap the box next to it and press whatever button you want to automatically bring up the Pleco box. I use the magnifying glass one on the Palm toolbar as I have no other use for it.

I seem to have the same issue, and enabling the clipboard did nothing for me. Is it because I'm trying to use it in the messaging module? Are there features I should not have enabled under preferences? Remember, I'm techno-challenged as well as Mandarin-challenged.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. I had set up everything in PlecoDict for traditional characters, and was reading a text in simplified characters. Or was it the other way round? Anyway, in Preferences on the Characters page, up the top set the "External text encoding" to match what you're reading. That fixed it for me.