Chinese-Forums

request: toneless dictionary search + dictionary oddities

onebir

The request: It seems the dictionary search is tone dependent. 'jiguan' gives no hits, but 'ji1guan1' does - even when the search is set to contain.

For a tone deaf person like me, it'd be great to be able to search disregarding tones....

The oddity:

Searching for strings containing 'ji' gives a whole load of results with pinyin that doesn't contain 'ji' - it's in the definition. I guess 'ji' could be english, so ZDT is giving it the benefit of the doubt and pulling up entries with ji in pinyin or definition. But i think it would be better if the entry were checked against valid pinyin syllables - and if it's one of them ZDT would only pull out entries with matching pinyin. The 18 pages of 'ji' hits resulting from the current setup make it a real slog to find the right character... :P

My free dictionary for MDict on the PocketPC can lookup using toneless pinyin (single and compound chars)

http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/

I will consider porting it to StarDict on win/macos/linux/etc, if I see that there is sufficient demand.

Maybe Chris can comment if the ZDT search function can be "pluggable" or customizable.

You can search without tones. Replace the tone number with the underscore character (ie. wo_) If you don't use a tone number or underscore, then it assumes you're searching an english definition.

Hey Wade - do you mean dictionaries being pluggable? If not, what do you mean?

Chris

You can search without tones. Replace the tone number with the underscore character (ie. wo_) If you don't use a tone number or underscore, then it assumes you're searching an english definition.

Aaaahhh - thank you! :) Apologies if this is in the documentation somewhere and i missed it...

Actually, what I want is the opposite. I want to search for tones without any pinyin. The reason for this is to generate word lists of different tone combinations for practice. It's a bit specialized, but difficult to do.

Even asking several Chinese friends, and they have a hard time on the spot coming up with a number of 3-3 words, etc.