Chinese-Forums

Help - explanation about a wubizixing code

bones

Hello,

I am currently learning how to type chinese characters using the wubizixing method. I'm using the guide "Wubizixing for Speakers of English" by Joe Wicentowski. So far, I have been able to understand the guide and my typing is progressing albeit slowly.

However, I do not understand the code for 途, which is WTP(I). W is for 八 and P is for 辶. But I do not understand why T is used for the second root. I would have expected the code for 途 to be WFIP... Could someone please explain?

Thanks for the tip! I remember spending some time figuring out that code but didn't understand it either.

Another word that I can't get the exact code for is 哀. While 衣 and 哀 do not have the same roots, the roots of these words lie on the same keys - YE. However these 2 characters have the same orientation and also the same last stroke. Therefore, I cannot use the isolation rule to distinguish between them. Both the codes YE and YEU produce the character 衣.

So I have to choose 哀 from the list after typing the code YE / YEU. Is that another one of the exceptions in wubizixing?

Just wait until you have to try typing 追. The part not including the 辶 took me ages to figure out how to type.

Try and guess it if you like, and then have a look below to see the correct code.

Turns out that the correct wubi code for 追 is WNNP. W for 亻then two N's for the boxes, and finally a P for the 辶.