Chinese-Forums

Chinese Java Programming

darkprince

Whenever i try and make an application in java with chinese text i always get blocks instead of UTF-8 chinese characters. Does anyone know how to fix this? Do i need to specify something in my main to look at the system locale ?

I have seen a few applications such as javadict ( japanese kanji dictionary) and a few other chinese applications work on my PC so i know the fonts are there...

Any ideas or pointers?

Whenever

i am developing applications mostly in Visual Studio2005 with c sharp.and i have encountered some font probs too with chinese font in the application....and i solved one in the option of edit memu but still remains some to be done

so on my own guess that it is your [highlight]configuration of IDE [/highlight]should be responsible for the problem as you said you alread have chinese font installed

i know nothing about developing app via java...no experience in the java IDE...so i think i am of only a little help.anyhow,you may try to turn to Codeguru ...

PS:my os is chinese version ,but i do bump into fonts probs[can it be a bug/bugs?].....

Internally, Java uses utf-16 as the encoding. If you are reading utf-8 data, you will need to convert it into utf-16. Usually the best/easiest time to do this is when loading the data. It's been too long since I've done any Java programming to tell you the library to do this, but I'm sure there's a class somewhere that will do this for you.

Look at that page that chinesetools linked. What I had to do to enable Chinese output on (Japanese Windows XP and English OS X) was to add an initialization function that looped through all of the fonts and found a font that supported Chinese. The code to do so is listed on that webpage. I suppose if you know the name of the font you could directly use it. Seems like there should be a more elegant way...but I am not aware of it.

Look at that page that chinesetools linked. What I had to do to enable Chinese output on (Japanese Windows XP and English OS X) was to add an initialization function that looped through all of the fonts and found a font that supported Chinese. The code to do so is listed on that webpage. I suppose if you know the name of the font you could directly use it. Seems like there should be a more elegant way...but I am not aware of it

Humm this does sound very hacky :S

p.s i don't use windows

Well, I have not tried it on Linux or Solaris yet, but in OS X I had to use the font hack as well. I suppose you are on Linux? Are you trying to write X Window applications, or console programs? If you are using X Windows, you could try and set your default fonts to Chinese fonts perhaps?