Chinese-Forums

Back in America...

boomerang

Does anybody have any advice on how to approach language study after coming back from a study abroad program and having been immersed in the language?

I was in Beijing for two months this summer, after two years of study in America. I feel it was the perfect time to go - I had enough under my belt that I was able to quickly pick up those essential out of class conversation pieces, and could effectively study and learn new classroom. After the two months I developed what I felt was a nice level of proficiency for my level, obviously nothing great but I was pleased with how I was able to get around and my reading level and such. Things came very quickly and it was a lot of fun (although at the end, I think because I knew I was leaving soon, I started to get frustrated when I couldn't easily get my point across).

Fast forward to now, having been back in America for 4 months. My spoken proficiency is basically shot to hell, to the point where I am almost embarrassed to speak, knowing how easy it once was. Writing has gotten slightly worse, but then again it never was anything good to begin with - just starting to get the hang of composing something with 1000+ characters. I've done a bit better with reading, supplementing my class with other materials, so I would say that is one area that has continued to improve.

Is this a typical situation? I'm really referring to speaking here. I know immersion is really essential, but is there any way to not feel like I'm going backwards in my ability? When I go back to China I want to feel like I've improved, not like I'm having to relearn basic conversation skills.

Cheers!

After living in China for 5 years (only studied formally one year of this time), I was away for 2 years, and my speaking skills actually improved while i was gone. the key to me was listening to Chinese radio programs and audio books over the internet. (many links to such programs sprinkled throughout chinese-forums. ) If those are too advanced for you chinesepod.com is a good alternative because there are lessons for all levels. While I was away I was living in a South American city with only abt 2 Chinese people there who didn't live near me so speaking Chinese wasn't really an option. But listening really helps your speaking. That's the way babies are immersed and learn a language. They spend their first year just listening, and it takes at least another year of further listening for them to start sounding intelligible. I recently returned to China, and was talking on the phone with an old Chinese friend,and he was amazed that my Chinese proficiency and pronunciation had improved while I was gone.

If you are in America, and living near any large cities or major university, there are also bound to be Chinese living there that you could speak Chinese with. Get in touch with the international student department at a local university, and you should be able to find some Chinese friends. Also, many Chinese PhD candidates who come to the States have a pretty good handle on English, but often their spouses who accompany them have little or no English speaking skills. Their faces just light up when you speak to them in Chinese. You become a bridge for them because they want to have American friends and understand American culture but the language is a barrier. Of course you will still have to watch out for English vampires, who just want to use your friendship as a means to improve their English, but if you set boundaries and pick your friends carefully this doesn't have to be a problem. More often it's our laziness or fear of making mistakes than their insistence that causes conversations to slip into English. Good luck!

I posted this in the wrong forum a while ago.

http://www.polyglot-learn-language.com/

You pair up with someone who's a native speaker of the language you're learning, and visa versa. It's usefull; from what I've seen most people want to talk using a headset via an IM like Skype or MSN. The thing is you need to be strict with yourself.

Typically you speak the language you're learning and they speak the one their learning. I'm going to impliment a 10 minute rule next year when I have some time (and ability) to do it again. 10 minutes speaking one language, and 10 minutes speaking the other.

I was in Beijing for two months this summer, after two years of study in America. I feel it was the perfect time to go

Hi boomerang,

Would it be possible to make more frequent, shorter trips? 2-week trips are probably long enough if you're really agressive about speaking. Remember, the one thing you can get over there that you can't get in the US is full immersion speaking/listening. Take every advantage of it; you can practice reading/writing at home. No hiding out in your room; ask directions and questions about everything; people love that! Maybe find a bf/gf online before you go who agrees only to speak Chinese with you. You are handsome/beautiful because you are different.:lol:

Fast forward to now, having been back in America for 4 months. My spoken proficiency is basically shot to hell, to the point where I am almost embarrassed to speak, knowing how easy it once was. ........

Is this a typical situation?

Absolutely. It's very difficult to maintain the same level out of country. But it's in your head, and it will all come back. Next time you go, be prepared to get significantly better than last time; you will be amazed. This happens to me all the time. I haven't even studied Thai for years now, but every time I go back I'm better. Sure, I lose a little vocab, but who cares. It's not how big of a vocab you have, but how you use it.:wink: But because you're actually studying, wow. It's gonna' be awesome.

Cheers from Texas,

Leo