Chinese-Forums

Chinese translation for this beautiful word

Nikar

Hi all,

Can anyone help me to translate the word "Elysium" into a short, simple but very cool-sounding equivalent?

"Elysium" is the name of a place where greek heroes go to after their deaths. It's considered a very beautiful place with eternal bliss and joy, beautiful skies and grasses, it's own warm sun etc.

The current translations I've now, including my own and those from the web, are :

1) 极乐界

2) 雅雷西安

3) 埃利希乡

No. 1 is the chinese meaning of "Elysium". No. 2 and 3 are the direct transliterations, and thus, although they sound classy, they've no meaning and thus look silly. No.1 is the best, but it's not inspiring-sounding or cool enough.

I'm currently doing a game script for my IT game project; thanks all! :):)

Nice day,

Nikar.

Elysium is a Latin word. Try to find the original or modern Greek spelling of the word.

Option 1:

Try to spell it back into English from the original Greek spelling. Then using the sound and meaning of Chinese characters choose the one that fits.

Option 2: Use an English-Chinese dictionary, and try to find the translation of the name "Elysium" or the original Greek in Chinese.

PS I dislike Latin. I prefer Greek. Greek is more original.

Bryan

Thanks for your help, all! Elysium comes from "Elysian Fields". The meaning of "Elysian" / "Elysium" is unknown to all and no one really knows it's origin. In Wikipedia, it's speculated that "Elysium" means something like "struck by lightning", but I don't think that's accurate.

I came up with one called 净乐田. (silent happy field)

Perhaps someone can modify it so that it sounds cooler? The 田 makes the whole word sounds mild and weak, as if it's some farm. But if I replace 田 with 园, it also sounds a bit like those children's garden(like kindergarten or pre-school stuff!).

I need something more forceful and stronger, impressive/majestic sounding.

It's ok to deviate from the meaning a little. Something like a balance between sounding cool and being meaningful. :)

Thanks all! :)

Nikar.

I don't know where to look for it, but if you can find a good translation into Chinese of the Chorus to Beethoven's 9th, or Schiller's Ode to Joy

Freude, schöner Götterfunken

Tochter aus Elysium,

Wir betreten feuertrunken,

Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

Deine Zauber binden wieder

Was die Mode streng geteilt;

Alle Menschen werden Brüder,

Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

that should do it.