Chinese-Forums

getting a job

toygirl

i'm planning on studying in beijing next spring, but am debating on whether i'll need to work while i'm there or stay a few months after school gets out an work and just live in china. can someone tell me, is it hard for foreigners to get jobs? i doubt i'll be fluent in chinese by then, my mandarin will be at best just "good", but i wouldn't mind a job teaching english or really anything. do i need a bachelors? or how do i go about looking for a job?

General rules of how things be....

1) It's never hard to get "A" job...finding a "good job" is another issue.

2) In China, even if you don't want to teach English and you look like you could teach English you will be able to find an opportunity, but see rule #1.

3) You can only pick 2 from the following:

You enjoy it/ you learn from it / you are making good money.

4) Now go search the ferengi rules of acquisition for more such life lessons...

Ok, back to work for me, I'm sure this didn't help a bit...sorry

One important thing about teaching english, you don't need any qualifications, you are white and can speak english that is enough. If a company tries to pay you less because you don't have a degree or TEFL piece of paper, tell them to stick it. You are in demand and they don't tell the schools you work at your qualifications so the schools pay all teachers the same regardless. You can make pretty good money if you have the patience to spend the first month getting your feet on the ground make some good contacts and don't get sucked into anything. Also if a foreigner offers to help you join a company or organises some teaching work for them, ask for a percentage of there teacher finding fee.

I'm writing all this because I see so many new teachers getting screwed by chinese, but mostly by greedy foreigners who pocket part of there lesson fee and a teacher finding fee from the company.