Chinese-Forums

Is VPN access allowed in China?

_Vega_

Next month I'm moving to China and will be studying Chinese for several months. I'll be getting an apartment with my girlfriend (Chinese citizen, so it'll be under her name), and will get ADSL Internet. I've got a leave of absence from my company, although it's on the condition that I will be able to respond to e-mails and help them if need be.

One of the things that I'm really concerned about is that in order for me to check e-mails, I have to use my company VPN (Virtual Private Network). My girlfriend currently has a shared Internet connection, and I've tried to connect to my company VPN from her Internet connection, and to my horror, I can't connect.

If we get our own private ADSL service in our apartment, will VPN access be allowed? I know it's allowed in hotels, but what about for personal accounts?

I have been able to make VPN connections out of China to the US. Have used Microsoft PPTP, OpenVPN, as well as Juniper SSL Network Connect VPN client. The Juniper Network connect client was the most reliable. I never was able to get the OpenVPN to work, even though it worked flawlessly in the states. The Microsoft PPTP would work, though it would disconnect sporadically, something like every 15 minutes if I remember correctly.

Whew, that's reassuring. Would this be from a regular personal ADSL account?

I've been able to VPN out from hotels without any problems -- it wasn't until I couldn't connect from my girlfriend's shared Internet connection that I started to wonder if the rules may be different for individual users.

• 2 weeks later...

looks funny, why don't you guy apply your own ADSL?

VPN has been used frequently in most of MNC in China. Don't worry about it.

Just make sure an Internet access avaliable, installed and configured VPN software in your computer/handheld device.

For your problem, I am not sure the shared Internet access situation exactly.

maybe the owner has sort of limited in his router setting, ACL or somthing like that.

Another option for you is: Does the company offer webmail for you/travelling users?

That's diff with VPN to get messages. Supposed be faster and easier to handle...

• 3 months later...

::Bump::

Has this issue been resolved? What was the outcome of the OPs problem?

While I am studying Chinese I will be working for a firm in US that requires a VPN and RDC/Terminal Services. Does anyone have experience using this stuff in China on home/personal/public networks?