Chinese-Forums

Article translation please?

babygodzilla

This is an article from Consumer Electronics World November 20th, page 4, regarding practical vs. sentimental people's views about electronics, how one likes the abilities and one likes the looks.

1) The title of the article is 徘徊在感性与理性之间. I'm not 100% sure what this title means. Hovering among practical and sentimental?

2) This is the last paragraph: 如果你是被某产品的外观所吸引,一个月你仍然对它的外观动心,那么这个产品你就不用犹豫了;如果你是被产品的能力所蛊惑,将你可能用到的能力写在纸上, 请身边好友评判以下, 如果多数同意你也就不用犹豫了。无论你对外观还是能力恋恋不舍, 如果确实喜欢或确有其用, 那么你就是理性的。

i dont understand the bolded part. something about writing the specs on paper? asking your good friend to criticize? what's that have to do with anything?

3) what is the reader supposed to "不用犹豫“ about? is that mentioned in this paragraph? if not, I probably misunderstood the 2nd paragraph.

4) The last sentence, 无论你对外观还是能力恋恋不舍, 如果确实喜欢或确有其用, 那么你就是理性的, translates into something like "doesn't matter if you like it for appearance or features, if you indeed like it or it's authentic (wtf?), then you are a practical person. What...?

5) What is the difference between 依然 and 仍然?

6) How long does it take people to understand articles like these? I've been studying for a year and I still have lots of trouble :cry: feels like I'm not going anywhere...

My views -

1) there's a book (and Ang Lee has made it into a film) written by Jane Austen called Sense and Sensibility. The title is 理性與感情 in Chinese. The author of the article might have been inspired by this title. I suppose the title of the article is about what one should do between making a rational choice and spending on impulse. 徘徊 is an action of wandering between two points/locations because one has some uncertainty of choosing which way to go.

2) 如果你是被某产品的外观所吸引,一个月你仍然对它的外观动心,那么这个产品你就不用犹豫了;如果你是被产品的能力所蛊惑,将你可能用到的能力写在纸上, 请身边好友评判以下, 如果多数同意你也就不用犹豫了。

If you are attracted to a product by its appearance, and you still find it attractive after a month, then you don't have to hesistate about it. If you are mesmerised by the functions of the product, then jot down on paper those functions that you might use and ask you good friends for comments (btw it should be 評判下, not 評判下). If most of them agree (that those functions are good / useful), then you don't have to hesitate, either.

3) the reader does not need to hesitate about whether or not to buy that product.

4) 无论你对外观还是能力恋恋不舍, 如果确实喜欢或确有其用, 那么你就是理性的,

It doesn't matter if you are attracted to its appearance or functions. If you really like it or if it is really useful, then you are a rational person / making a rational choice.

5) IMHO there is not much difference between 依然 and 仍然, We use different words / expressions to make our writing more interesting.

6) what you have posted (those are not the whole thing I suppose) is not difficult at all. however, the writing itself may not be actually that good (the writer's problem) and it may affect your understanding it.

努力!!

ahh.... i understand it now...

yeah, i suspected that the reader isn't supposed to hesitate about buying the product, but wasnt very sure.

man, should i feel stupid about not being able to read this..? it seems so simple...

:cry:

thank you very much for the very clear explanations!