Chinese-Forums

Did anybody go to ACTFL?

kudra

Yes I was there. I had a great time and met a lot of intresting people. It was truely amazing to see the Chinese language dominating the conference.

The break out sessions were very educational and useful. Majority of the people there were instructors, and educators, but there were many sudents attending the conference as well. Overall it was worth worth the money spent registering for the conference. I was able to see all the new technology available for helping me learn Chinese.

From the sessions that I sat through which was many, it seems that the teachers/ professors are still using the traditional approach. There were some signs of the education evolving, but from what I saw they tend to stick to traditonal methods of teaching Chinese.

Mostly I am interested in any sessions about teaching kids under 10 years old, and as early as 2.5 yrs? Specifically I am interested in strategies/techniques for kids that age, where one parent is an intermediate student with good pronunciation. I am not interested and the kids aren't interested in going to a traditional Chinese weekend school -- which I think is for kids who get near verbal immersion at home, and just need someone to pound on them with reading and writing.

From looking at the online schedule, it didn't look like there was anything like that however eye witnesses might know otherwise ....

Of course the market share my family represents is probably negligible.