Chinese-Forums

Chinese-English dictionary that you can write and obtain character/pinyin results?

Phantim3dx

Sooner or later I have to purchase a chinese/English dictionary. Most dictionaries I know of you push buttons to obtain the result that you want, but are there dictionaries out there that you can also use an electornic pen (like a PDA) in which you can write the character/pinyin of that word to obtain the result either in chinese/english? I was wondering about this, and any information would be of much value. Do these type of dictionaries not exist? If not, is what I am describing more of a PDA style Chinese/English dictionary? Thanks everyone.

Jay

Joockster, thank you so much I don't even know where to begin. Reading the info on it right now. So basically isntall this into a good quality PDA and it works?!?! is it really that easy?!

One mroe thing Jockster which version of the PLECO software did you purchase for usage? I am thinking of buying the Palm TX.

I recommend something called a book. It's a bit old fashioned, but it withstands a good beating and is light on the wallet =P , no on has an interest in swiping it, and you won't draw attention to yourself using it, but hey that's just me... hehe (plus I came to China with two electronic dictionaries and somehow they both died exactly as the warranty expired...therefore no electronic dictionaries or palm like thingies ever again....unless someone just wants to donate one to the heifeng fund)

FURTHERMORE, there is nothing like making yourself look up the character the long way to etch it in your memory.....

oh not to worry i also intend to purchase a book based dictionary. I'm a believer in double, sometimes triple standards so things are etched in my memory! Any recommendations on book based dictionaries or should I just purchase what the University (in my case BLCU) recommends me to buy once I get there

For the book kind of dictionary, I do like the big red HSK 汉语8000词词典 (yes, my binding is looking a bit in need of duct tape these days too). Because it gives pretty thorough examples of each word and it's usage. However since it is for the HSK, some of the words you are looking for may not be in there (after all it is just 8000词hehe).

Since it seems like you are in BJ, head over to the Wangfujing bookstore and go to their dictionary section. then grab a bunch of dictionaries, look up the same word(s) and see how each dictionary explains it. (is there enough pinyin, do they give similar words, other words that also use one of the characters, antonyms, examples, etc etc etc.) After looking through a bunch of them you can compare them yourself and feel relatively confident with your dictionary selection ...(plus you can practice turning the pages, get an idea of it's weight, strength of the binding see if it will hold up very long =)....But, don't necessarily buy the book there, there are cheaper places!...

(Also there are some dictionaries that do have pinyin on every character, if you are in need of that too...)

I think I had some teachers (but not at BLCU) recommend the book that Imron is using. Mostly teachers seem to complain when students are glued to their lil' electronic dictionaries since they often end up using them for a substitute for thinking or end up not paying attention to the actual lecture...

"Wangfujing bookstore"

How far is this from BLCU campus, or is it right on campus?

By the way any place I can purchase a map of Beijing specifically, that has it in character format as well as english format?<--the two dont have to be on the same map. If no such thing exists I guess where could I purchase a map of Beijing both in english and in chinese?

This way I cang et my bearings straight once I arrive from the airport and know my sorroundings. Much appreciated once again guys!

Jay

Couldn't agree more, and my ailing 现代汉语词典 has seen so much use, it now has to be held together with duct tape :-)

My 现代汉语词典 is also falling apart. The dictionary is the best that I know of for characters, with pinyin, and example sentences (like a good learners dictionary should have).

But at the same time, I also really love Pleco's dictionary. The 现代汉语词典is too fat and heavy to carry around all day. It's also faster to look up new words on Pleco. And it easily converts from traditional characters to simplified (or vice versa) in the click of one button.

I think the 现代汉语词典 biggest weakness is that it almost never includes traditional characters. However, 现代汉语词典 is slightly more comprehensive than Pleco's ABC, and certainly has more example sentences. So, I think the 现代汉语词典 and Pleco kind of compliment each other.

To Wangfujing (the easiest way so that you won't get lost)

1) Near BLCU take the wudaokou light rail(yellow line) to xizhimen(transfer to blue line) (fyi need to purchase 5 yuan ticket, they will give you 2 tickets, one is for the light rail line, the other paper one is for the other lines. When you come back you still need the 5 yuan ticket, but they will give you 1 ticket with a blue end and a yellow end that they rip off. )

2)then take the blue line to fuxingmen (transfer to red line)

3)red line to Wangfujing: Huge pedestrian street. The book store is something like 8 stories, so you WILL see it. (but if you don't it's next to a McDonalds)

(Ps I think that at Wangfujing they also have a foreign language bookstore if you need more English materials)

4)b/c this is in a "toursity area" refer to the Beijing and other tea scams thread on this board b/c you will likely get approached by people that can just smell the air and tell that you are new to China...

So, I think the 现代汉语词典 and Pleco kind of compliment each other.

In the future perhaps I will reconsider my stance on no electronics then =)

I think the 现代汉语词典 biggest weakness is that it almost never includes traditional characters.

I think mine gives the traditional of the headword if it is different from the simplified version. Will check.

And there is this version fully in traditional Chinese -> ISBN 9620702115

I think the 现代汉语词典 biggest weakness is that it almost never includes traditional characters.

I think mine gives the traditional of the headword if it is different from the simplified version. Will check.

Yep, it gives the traditional characters, but only for the headword, and only if it's different from the simplified character.

Thanks skylee. It's good to know they have it in traditional too.

Just to give Pleco some more free PR :mrgreen: , if you are mainly used to simplified and then you start to read a book or whatever in traditional, you can just put every word you don't know into a flash card pile specifically for getting better at traditional. Then just review that pile of flash cards a few times a week, and then your ability to at least recognize characters in both systems will be pretty similar. Of course that would also work if you are used to traditional first, and then come to the Mainland.