Chinese-Forums

父子 After this our exile

Ian_Lee

The movie "After this our exile" was debutting yesterday in Mainland, HK and Taiwan simultaneously.

This film deserves a lot of attention because:

(1) It premiered in both the Rome Film Festival and Busan Film Festival. It also got the "Best Asian Film Award" in the Tokyo Film Festival. And last week it garned three awards in Taiwan's Golden Horse Film Festival.

(2) Its actor, Aaron Kwok, was awarded Best Actor in Golden Horse Film Festival two years on a row.

(3) This film looks really like one of those movies made by Wong Kar Wai. It is not surprising since its director is actually the mentor of Wong Kar Wai in the '80s.

(4) The film's actors are all from HK, Taiwan and Mainland. But in the Cantonese version, they have to learn to speak Cantonese with strong Malaysian accent. Many movie critics say that they speak faultless Malaysian Cantonese.

I'm looking forward to this, too.

The film has three different versions for Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Malaysia.

The version Chinese mainland audience will see today will be about 120 minutes, 40 minutes shorter than the complete version. The sex scenes have been deleted, because there are no film ratings in Chinese mainland yet.

"The complete 160-minute version is the best in my opinion," Tam said, "but there is no need to worry about other versions' quality, for I edited all of them myself. The audience won't miss anything good."

I don't have a chance to watch the film yet.

But as the harbinger of the "New Wave", Director 譚家明 has always made controversial movies. The most famous movie that Tam made should be 烈火青春 in early '80s. The most controversial scene in the film is about the actor and actress making love in the upper deck of a moving tram. The scene is so stunning that the movie was banned abruptly just after one week in the cinema.

• 3 months later...

Just watched the 120-minute version with the sex scenes intact.

IMO the sex scenes are the integral parts of this movie. Without the sex scenes, the movie will not be that overwhelming.

Just some interesting observations about the Cantonese spoken in Malaysia (the whole film was taken somewhere In Ipoh):

(1) 跳飛機???

(2) They tend to put the negative at the end of a sentence.