Chinese-Forums

Lotusstudy.com Immersion Learning Program in Beijing

Impala1ss

I am new to these forums and am interested to know if anyone knows about the www.lotusstudy.com program. If I sign up I will go to Beijing for 1 month, attend the BEIJING LANGUAGE & CULTURE UNIVERSITY, and live with a professional Chinese family for a complete immersion program.

I am 63 yrs old, with a Masters Degree and am very interested in this type learning approach. It is new to me and hopefully some of you have some experience with this.

I went to Beijing for 2 weeks in October of 2005. My stay was organized by lotusstudy.com. I was very pleased with the experience. The host family I stayed with was exceptional. My tutor that the provided for me was also exceptional.

For a first timer coming to Beijing, they provide a good network to help you get oriented in this new environment.

i'm doing a homestay with lotus study, but not until next march. i'll definitely keep everyone posted about my experiences! there are several options on the website. you can choose to do a package, where the homestay and tution to either blcu or bnu are included, but i found that rather expensive. there is also a "free" homestay option, the option that i'm doing, where you are just obligated to teach english for an hour a day, and pay $50 a week. i'm sure i could have got a job teaching english that paid me about the same or more, but i would have had no clue where to start trying to find a job (and then still looking for a place to live) on my own, with basic chinese, and doing all this from a different country.

if it's only for a month, i say go for it. the cultural exchange i think would be well worth the possibility of maybe not getting along so well with your host family. they provide your ride to and from the airport, and i'm hoping to pick up some good home cooking experience!

Thanks for the response. I'm also going in March and have sent in everything but the final payment. I also will be doing the free homestay and teaching the family for 1 hr. a day. I've seen nothing about the $50 you mention. Did I miss something?

http://www.lotusstudy.com/special.html

look at the bottom it says " If you have your own arrangement for Chinese language lessons, a $50/week administration fee is required to apply for free homestay and the minimum booking is 10 weeks."

maybe you're under a different arrangement? that's they option i'm doing.....

OK. I'm taking their 4 week course starting March 1. Hoping for a family who lives pretty close to BLCU. Where are you studying? HAve you found any sites which can advise people like us what to bring, not to bring, kind of cellphone needed, and whether its best to buy one there? IS a laptop suggested? and a million more questions.:help

yeah, there is a lot of information in these posts, just use the search tool. i'm bringing my own laptop and if you have one, sounds like its a good idea to bring your own. buying electronics seems to be rather difficult and there are a lot of opportunities for you to get ripped off. i haven't checked much into a cell phone, i think they're definitely affordable, but i'm not sure about international calls, which is what i'd be using mine for. I plan on just using my internet connection to make calls. most of what i know about going i learned from this forum!

i'll be at blcu for the semester session from march thru july, so i guess i'll see you there! check out the thread for blcu 2007 and you can read posts from other studets that are going as well. i think some of us want to try and meet up before classes start. do you have msn messenger or skype? my messenger - buckles303@asia.com, skype - jenjen