Chinese-Forums

Win Xp - traditional input does not work.

flameproof

English Win Xp - traditional input does not work.

I hope somebody can give me a clue:

Here is my setting:

User #1

Simpl. Chinese - Pinyin input = no problem

User #2

Trad. Chinese - Pinyin input = problem!

The input method does not pop up when chosen and English stays, despite the ZH keyboard switch.

Is there anything else I have to do for trad. input? If if does not work with Pinyin I could also chose a canto input. I am open to all suggestions.

Each use has only 2 languages installed:

User #1

Engl.

Simpl. Chinese - Pinyin input = no problem

(no Trad. Chinese input installed)

User #2

Engl.

Trad. Chinese - Pinyin input = problem!

(no Simpl. Chinese input installed)

So User #2 can only either chose Engl (no problem) or ZN (and that's still Engl).

I found this useful link:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/IME_Paper.mspx

Looks like trad. Chinese can not be input by Pinyin at all. But how can I chose any input method at all?

As mentiond, User #1's Pinyin input with Simpl. works superb.

Are you using the one that say Chinese (PRC) ? If you use the one that say Chinese (Taiwan) traditional should work. If you want a cantoinput method check this site outhttp://www.cantonese.org.cn/Soft/2006/200605/Soft_20060513104337.html.

But before you download you should change your non-unicode programs to Chinese (PRC) to be able to read the instructions for installation.

If you use the Taiwan IME, note that some words require input different from the standard hanyu pinyin. IIRC, the case I encountered was the "驟" in 驟雨. I had to type "zou" for the word, whose standard hanyu pinyin is "zhou". Since then I've switched to the PRC IME, which also supports output in traditional characters.

The MS pinyin module is called MSPY3.0

And right, there should be a function to toggle trad/simp input. I found in the help files:

Input GBK Characters

MSPY supports all GBK Chinese characters. To reduce length of candidates, MSPY arrange all characters into two input modes - Simplified and Traditional, which can be toggled on the language bar .

I have not seen that before, and my language bar did not show that option. So you have to click the the very small v icon on the right side of the language bar and bring it up to the bar.

Testing: 中国/中國

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!