Chinese-Forums

US Passport/Visa question

ratfink

Hi, I would like to correct my name on my passport and in the process get a new passport since US passports can no longer be amended. How will this effect my X visa in China, or more specifically my residency permit when I extend it? If I submit my current passport to get an updated one, then the content of my passport pages and visa, residency permit are going to be taken too...

Has anyone done this before while abroad?

Thanks....

With UK passports at least, you can have two valid passports at the same time - ie an old one that is almost expired, and a new one. I did this recently when I went down to HK to renew my visa - got a new passport as the old one would expire early next year, exited China on the old one, entered HK on the new one (guy at HK immigration did query it, but no problem) got new visa in new passport, back into China. I still have the old one if I need it for evidence of past visas, etc.

Your situation is obviously quite a bit more complicated and to be honest I'm not sure I'd bother unless it's actually causing you problems - easier to do it when you are back in the states and visa-free. At a guess either the embassy will keep your original passport and issue you a letter explaining the situation which you can then use to get a new visa (similar to what happens if you lose a passport) or you'll keep both and when you come to renew your residence permit you'll need to explain the situation and get the PSB to put the new permit in the new passport. That was all guessing though.

They won't return your expired passport when they give you a new one?

The same form that is used to apply for a residence permit is used to make changes to an existing one. Depending on who you work for/study with, you may be required to provide additional documents such as proof of company registration.

Do they actually invalidate them? I was kind of surprised to have two fully-functioning passports at the same time, as I'd expected it to be at least stamped as invalid or something, but I was able to use both simultaneously. Still got two, the original doesn't expire till March.

That's no fun, I felt all James-Bondish with my two passports (yes, I have dual nationality, I'm British twice . . .)

Was this within China? What do they tell you to do for a visa? Do you have to apply for a new one immediately, or will immigration look at the invalidated passport?

All my expiring US passports have been stamped "cancelled," then physically marked, either by chopping off a corner or by drilling.

As to your current visa or such, it depends on the country. Some let you use the exisiting one, some make you transfer it over to the new passport, some make you apply for a new one.

Note, too, that the old procedure -- where you walked into a US embassy or consulate and walked out with your new passport -- has changed. New passports are now made in the US and the process takes two weeks. And some places, like Hong Kong, no longer accept walk-in applications: you have to make an appointment.