Chinese-Forums

Online HK bookstore for Western books?

djwebb2004

Hello. I want to order a pile of books in English from Amazon, but I have found out to my cost that parcels arriving in Kunming with an address label in English are sent straight back to country of origin. So when I order from Amazon I have to get them hand delivered by courier, which doubles the cost. Is there a HK bookshop that stocks most Western titles? The only one I can find is www.cp1897.com, but that is for Chinese titles. I figure a HK bookstore would have a lower postal charge and would handle an address written in Chinese characters better.

I never had a problem with parcels addressed in English (or pinyin I suppose) delivered in Shenzhen. But they won't deliver parcels to your home - you get a delivery note and you have to go to the post office to collect the parcel. Is it possible that you didn't recognise the delivery note which is all in Chinese?

No, I would be able to understand a delivery note in Chinese. If I didn't I would ask my gateman what it was all about. Shenzhen is probably set up better for this sort of stuff than Kunming. I ordered some books from Ireland on the Irish language, and they pinged back and forth 3 times between China and Ireland, and in the end I sent the bookshop a PDF address label in Chinese, which worked. In the process the packaging was damaged and so I had to repackage and pay another 69 euros for the postage!!!

• 9 months later...

There's plenty book stores in HK that stock English books. I'll be in Macau on the 1st and HK on the 9th of next month so I'll have a look then and ask about delivery. I'd also like to be able to get books sent up to me in the north east without spending a fortune

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good big book store. If found many nigh book shops last time I was in HK but not the super sized book stores I see on the mainland. Where are the best/biggest book shops in HK or Macau.

The biggest bookstore in HK for Chinese-language books, I think, is the Commercial Press Bookstore near the ferry building in Tsim Tsa Tsui, Kowloon, and for English-language book, it's probably the Page One bookstore in Times Square, Causeway Bay.

The Commercial Press Bookstore is about the size of a small-to-medium size Border's. The Page One is about half the size of the Commerical Press Bookstore but has a decent selection, depending on what you are looking.

See this thread and the list below:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/4054-bookshops-in-hk

Bookshops in HK

http://www.realityfilm.com.hk/dvd/book_stores.htm

商務印書館星光圖書中心 尖沙咀梳士巴利道3號星光行3樓

The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) LTD. Star House Book Centre 3/F., Star House, 3 Salisbury Rd., TST, Kln.

葉壹堂 銅鑼灣勿地臣街1號時代廣場地庫第一層

Page One Twins. B1 Time square, 1 Matheson Road.

葉壹堂 尖沙咀海港城商場3樓3002號舖

Page One Habour City Unit 3002, 3rd Floor, Habour City, TST

The commercial press at the star house in Tsim Sha Tsui has been closed. It´s moved to the Miramar shopping centre also in Tsim Sha Tsui as far as I can recall. I´ve written about it here but it has occurred to me that people seldom pay attention to what I said.

And the page one at Times Square has also moved for a long time. It is now on the 9th floor of the same shopping centre as far as I can recall.

2 djwebb2004

how about ordering books from Amazon to an address in the US/UK where you'd have a friend/family who would receive them and re-send them to China with a chinese-language address label that you'd mail them in advance?

shipping may also be cheaper this way, there are always promotions on amazon for domestic deliveries (free if you order over $X etc)