Chinese-Forums

Locking Check-in Baggage?

jinjin

Hi,

I flew in from the US and hence, don't have any locks on my check-in suitcases (I know they say it is okay to have locks, but I usually don't fly with them after they started cutting them off and sometimes damaging the suitcase).

I'm flying back to the US on Air China (partnered with United) and their website recommends that we lock our bags. What is everyone else doing? I'm thinking that once we get into the US (and I'm flying to JFK), all my locks are going to be cut off or maybe they will be cut off in bejing. I have zipties, but this probably won't be enough of a deterrant for theft.

Is everyone else locking their bags?

Which carrier have you flown that cuts locks?! I always fly with locked baggage, and have never had a problem with it. If I found my locks had been cut, I'd immediately report it to an airport official for fear of bag tampering.

If any locked luggage contains suspicious items, it will be identified for extra checking at customs, where the person who owns the luggage will be required to open the locks themselves.

Sounds like another good reason not to visit the US. Do you have any extra info on these regulations? In the last 6 years, I've been travelling by air pretty regularly between Australia, Europe and Asia (though never the US), and have never heard or seen of similar regulations in those countries. In fact usually it's exactly the opposite, with airlines encouraging you to lock to your bags, and even places at the airport that offer to wrap your bag up in a "security film", to prevent it from being opened/tampered with once it's been checked-in.

your sentiments regarding the US aside, go to the TSA's website. TSA may cut any locks to check any bags at any time. There are places like Sharper Image, etc. that sell "TSA approved locks" that are basically locks that can be opened by the TSA using a special tool. However, some people have reported that TSA still cuts these locks off too (Sharper image will replace the lock for free if this happens).

There was a time when everybody was told that you can't lock your bags so now, basically nobody usually does in the US. However, according to the TSA you can, although be prepared to run into the average minimum wage worker who tells you that you must take the lock off (they're wrong, but they can keep you from checking in your bags, so better to not argue). hope this helps.

p.s. I think the lock ban started when the towers fell...

My sentiments regarding the US were in reference to the fact that travel to the US seems to be becoming more and more onerous for travellers. The requirement for bags to be unlocked seemed like yet another unnecessary restriction. I didn't realise it was something that was so widespread.

It's basically the exact opposite in Australia, with the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority, recommending that luggage be kept locked at all times.

In Australia there have been several high-profile cases of drug-trafficking, where the person accused has claimed drugs were planted in their unlocked bag by others (including by baggage-handlers after check-in etc), so I would say most travellers here keep their bags locked.

In my experiences of flying into and out of the US, it is OK to lock your bags. What I usually do is go to your local Jusco or even street market to buy luggage locks. They are dirt cheap but get the job done. IF needed, they are easy to SAFELYand without harming the bag cut off, and besides they tend to get rather beat up along the ride anyway. Unless you are carrying something in your bag that will set off these million dollar machines that TSA uses to "sniff out threats" the only place you will need to open your bag is at customs (if you get searched when entering the us) and initial check-in when leaving the US.

As far as carry-ons ALWAYS keep them locked. It only takes a few seconds to unlock when you are going through the maze of checkpoints that we call airports in America, but after that it keeps things secure.

As far the "use" of the "heightened" level of security in America, we can debate that all day and get nowhere. For now, this is just how things are and I don't think much will change anytime soon.

From my experience I believe it is much easier to travel as a foreigner in other parts of the world such as Japan, Taiwan, Australia than it is to be an American Citizen trying to return home. So much hassle, I don't even want to imagine the things foreigners trying to enter America go through...

so I spoke to other people flying into new york. half of them said they locked it and by the time the luggage showed up in NY, they were gone. so I bought some locks for 3kuai...they seem pretty cheap so if they get cut off, my luggage won't be damaged, but sturdy enough to deter theives. anyway, thanks for the responses!

The two times my wife has flown out of China items were stolen from her checked baggage. The first time, flying out of Beijing, it was a necklace. The second time, out of Haikou, it was cosmetic creams. Both times the items were in a side pocket, not the main section of the bag. I would advise anyone flying out of China to lock their checked baggage and not put anything remotely valuable in unlocked side pockets.

I usually use a paperclip. It won't stop anyone who is determined to open my bags, but it would slow them down and hopefully change their mind (and go for another, easier to open, bag...)

paperclip! that's a good idea! thanks for the thread guys, i probably wouldn't think about locking my bag because as jinjin said, they are subject to check your bag at any time. i recently flew from oakland, CA to slc, UT and when i arrived i found that there was a note inside my luggage on the top of my clothes that said the TSA had randomly pulled my luggage aside and went through it. i could tell that my stuff had been moved around a bit, but nothing was missing. i'm sure this could offend people in some cases, but i definitely feel much safer knowing that bags do get randomly checked.

I lock by luggages using those TSA approved locks (domestic travel as well as international travel), and I haven't had them cut-off.

What I have are soft-sided luggages. What I wonder is what to do for those with hardsided luggages with built-in combination locks.

but i definitely feel much safer knowing that bags do get randomly checked.

Yes, this effect is known as security theatre (click here for another interesting article). Basically there is the perceived increase in security, but little to no increase in actual security (all at the expense of various civil liberties). I bet you wouldn't feel safer if you found items missing from your luggage.

I'd be interested in seeing statistics on how many security threats have actually been prevented due to this measure that wouldn't have been picked up by scanning the luggage using X-ray machines (which happens with all luggage anyway).

once you get all your stuff packed in your suitcases, take it all out again.

put everything in clear plastic bags, then seal the bags with duct tape or some other

strong packing tape that will tear the plastic if tampered with. put your name and

phone number, or some type of identifier on the bags with a sharpie.

when you check your bags, open them at the counter. have the highly-trained high school

dropout sign your previously prepared inventory sheet. then you can zip-tie your bags.

Lu wrote:

I usually use a paperclip. It won't stop anyone who is determined to open my bags, but it would slow them down and hopefully change their mind (and go for another, easier to open, bag...)

haha, I do sth similar. I use those twisty ties that you use to tie up bread bags or electrical wiring. I use them on my backpack in China if i'm going to be taking sth valuable with me on the bus. I've caught people going through my backpack at least 3 times in China (while it was still on my back) then there are other times when I've found it open after a bus ride or after a walk across a crowded footbridge. The twisty tie can be opened but it is a pain so it deters thieves especially when there are plenty of other backpacks or suitcases that are easier to open.

I bet you wouldn't feel safer if you found items missing from your luggage.

well lucky for me nothing was stolen and i don't have anything to hide so it doesn't really bother me that stuff in my bag was shuffled around a bit.

the article on security theatre is definitely an interesting point. security at the airports in america could be overrated and a show, but it could always be worse.