Chinese-Forums

Married in China - Residency - What city's give it in one year?

Hero Doug

I remember talking to a Canadian woman who married a Chinese guy and I remember her saying that the marriage law's in China are mostly local, as in some cities give residency in 5 years while other's give residency in a year.

This isn't a citizenship question, just residency.

What cities (preferably near the ShangHai/NanJing area) give residency in a year?

Or, where would I look for find the info?

Probably none. These things were standardised in 2004 and applications for permanent residence now have to be approved at central government level, which requires 5 years. Marriage to a Chinese citizen does entitle you to a one year tourist visa with unlimited in-country extensions.

Do you have to go out of the county for the one year visa or can you do it in China?

You can do it in-country if you are in China on an L visa. If you have a different kind of visa you have to convert to L first or leave the country and come back on an L visa.

This is a little off topic but how do 2 Chinese people from 2 different provinces get married with this hukou thing. They have 2 marry twice,once the groom's home province and another at the bride's?

No, they usually get married in the man's registration area, but need paperwork from the woman's.

Last summer I had to drag myself all the way to Inner Mongolia to hand over my red envelope to the couple, the woman of which has been a friend here in the South of China for years. A local girl.

Since the later part of 2004, residency has been standardized and only the Public Security Ministry is able to grant it. To qualify as the spouse of a Chinese national, you need to be married at least five years and subsequent to the marriage have lived in China for five continuous years with absences no greater than three months in any one year.

This is just the basic requirement. You also have to show financial stability and long-term employment. The reported success rate for those that apply is about 15%.

I agree that it isn't really such a great policy to have to wait at least five years. In most other Western countries, permanent residency is almost immediate.

You're probably right that the fact that they have a population of 1.3 billion plays a part, but I think the real issues are that they haven't really had to deal with this issue until recently so there is a lack of practical experience and also the fact that in many aspects China is still a closed society.

There are confirmed rumors that the government is looking into relaxing the requirements for PR, but I wouldn't hold my breath. For now just take the one-year "L" visas. Although you aren't supposed to work on an "L", you'd be surprised at how many people actually do.