Chinese-Forums

Proficiency exams

heifeng

Hello, I was just curious about some experiences people have had with Chinese language and translation proficiency exams...I am pretty sure many people on this board are already somewhat familiar with the HSK, but I curious what other certificates/exams exists outside of China. For example, for translators there is the ATA certification exam http://www.atanet.org/, and some other interesting links for the Chinese flagship programhere and http://www.govtilr.org/ I guess, as a continued effort to get over the advanced "plateau" I'd like to hear some people's language experiences, including the translators on this board=D

I personally have just had experience with the ACTFL-OPI and HSK, but in all honesty, I have never actually 'used' these certificates for anything, but I continue to just work for certain exams so I don't get into too much of a language rut.

Anyway, other than people just talking to you at your job interviews or administering their own exams, has anyone heavily relied on these exams for their current career, or are these also just your "studying tools"? Does anyone have any thoughts on these exams, or experiences they would like to share on these exams, etc? Have they helped to motivate you to keep studying, or do you feel they are a good tool for measuring one's progress/proficiency?

You might want to have a look at the Australian (biggish country, south of here) NAATI exams. They even let you use dictionaries in the exam . . .

If you search NAATI on here you should find some info from the depths of time - if I remember quickly they will offer the exam on Beijing when requested.

Thanks for the question and the links. I've also heard of the CAL Chinese language proficiency examination. Anyone have info on this? Also, I've heard of these elusive translator's examinations in China. Anyone taken them? Or is this just another name for HSK advanced--10 and 11 are supposed to be equivalent to some sort of translator certification in Chinese eyes according to something I remember reading in the HSK manual.

I'd also like to chime in here with a couple more questions, hoping more people will reply.

In 2007 I'm planning on trying to apply to U.S. grad programs in Chinese. Having not studied Chinese formally (I majored in Germanic languages in college), I'm planning on using the HSK to provide proof of my modern language ability. The advanced HSK seems suitable for this because it includes an oral and writing component. The HSK is easy to sign up for and take in China. (I don't know about ACTFL-OPI and CATRC--can you take these exams over the phone/internet? Doubt it.)

How well recognized is the HSK in American grad institutions? Along with a research paper utilizing primary sources, would it provide them sufficient proof of language ability? I suppose they could do interviews, too, if they wanted further verification.

Also, what's considered a high score? I was surprised to see the Johns Hopkins Nanjing program list HSK 6 as a prerequisite to joining the M.A. program, as this seems to me a rather low score for this purpose. I would have thought that serious grad study would require at least a 9...