Chinese-Forums

New HSK ?

youpii

The reformed test, or HKS, will be divided into three levels instead of the former 11. In the preliminary and middle levels, there are only two parts – oral Chinese and essay writing.

Participants can choose subjects according to their skills and calculators may be used in the exam.

Sounds like nonsense, to be honest. They've not even spelled HSK right (unless it's to be renamed the 汉语考你水平 exam?), and there are already three levels, but with 11 grades between them. No way they're going to removing stuff like reading from any level, either. And calculators? :help

Something has got seriously garbled somewhere - maybe the original report was referring to one of the new HSK-stable exams floating around, but the only way this would happen to the main exams is if the HSK is being run by a bunch of . . . oh. Maybe it's true :mrgreen:

It looks like the rumors are correct... to a certain extent and according to xinhua...

http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/edu/2006-12/21/content_5517068.htm

I think something go lost in translation.....

Random note: The more my reading ability improves the less and less I have learned to trust english versions of chines news sites...

主观性考试的实施将借助于计算机手段。

That sounds like you'll be able to use a electronic writing device (computer/cell phone/calculator) for the writing section. Correct?

2007年4月,在照常举行现行HSK考试的同时,将全面推出HSK(改进版)初、中、高三个级别的考试,本次HSK(改进版)以试考的形式推出,考生可以免费参加。2007年4月之后,开始实行HSK(改进版)和现行HSK考试并行的体制,即实行双轨制。考生可以在HSK(改进版)和现行HSK考试中任选一项或两项参加考试。

2008年将完成HSK(改进版)和现行HSK考试的并轨工作,HSK(改进版)将完全取代现行HSK。

Also, it sounds like the (Improved) version (free of charge) will run along side the normal old versions in 2007 in a two track system, until they combine them in 2008.

Strange.

主观性考试的实施将借助于计算机手段。

That sounds like you'll be able to use a electronic writing device (computer/cell phone/calculator) for the writing section. Correct?

Maybe it means that you might be able to type your Chinese essays at some point instead of writing them by hand. Or it could just be a computer-aided multiple choice test like the GRE.

Here's what I'm getting from the Sina article.

1) New question types to test comprehensive language ability and ability to communicate

2) Cutting the current 11 levels down to 3 - elementary, intermediate, advanced - and you can get a pass or merit at each - so 6 possible grades.

3) There will be oral and writing components at each level. 'Computing methods' will be used in these components. I guess this means we can write on computer? Or am I thinking wishfully?

4) They're going to be publishing a table comparing 'old' and 'new' HSK levels.

Plus the stuff on scheduling wushijiao covered.

1) is good, I've long complained about the lack of oral / proper writing at the lower levels.

2) I don't know if they needed to cut down the levels, but my reading of it is that there will now be separate exams for elementary, intermediate, and advanced. That's a very good thing.

3) is just more detail on 1) - but will we actually be able to use computers? Seems a little unlikely, but at least having the option would make sense.

The wording is a bit vague. It does say that the 计算机 (computer) is used for the 主观性 (subjective parts- speaking/writing). Since a computer is of no use in speaking, that would seem to mean that you would use the computer for writing, ie. typing pinyin and getting characters.

Personally, I would love it if you could just write using a computer. If these changes go through, I think it would help Westerners (on average) on the curve.

It would be useful from their point of view - they can record our mumblings in electronic format and send it wherever they want, rather than having to physically handle thousands of tapes. And it would be useful for us, as we could just take in a USB drive with a recording of us arguing with someone as evidence of our ability, rather than having to talk about 'my favorite festival'. And given the efficient and reliable way their website is run, I'm sure the use of computers in exams will present no problems at all.

I had a quick look at the HSK and Hanban sites to see if I could see anything about how the computers will be used, but no luck. There's allegedly an article here, but the link isn't working.

I want to know what's happening with the 基础 and 入门 exams? Are they just disappearing? I can't help but get the feeling they're making as many additions and changes as possible to justify increased funding / generate more income, with little sign of any comprehensive strategy.