Chinese-Forums

Help! I've been cupped!

billiardsmike

If being covered in big red welts isn't bad enough, I was told that I shouldn't take a shower for three days. Since I had been in a feverish sweat for a day before, I'm sure that I'm getting a little ripe, not that I would notice any smells right now. What's the deal with that? I need to go out and would really like a shower if it won't put me in convulsions or something equally strange.

Was this a Christmas present to yourself? Did you consider yourself to have been a particularly naughty boy this year?

My flatmate had this done a couple of months ago. His back looked like a large truck had run over him; he also said he couldn't shower (but just for a day I think - I'll ask him when I next seem him) and that it was a bit painful. Apparently, people do it for fun. Must be a special thing that crazy people like ;) Do you feel good afterwards?

this reckons it's because your skin is damaged and it would be easy to break or inflame the skin. I guess you'd be ok if you are careful. Certainly I think the risk is worth it, as nobody wants you walking around Beijing stinking the place up :wink:

And to second Adrian's question - does it work?

I think it's okay for you to take a shower as long as you don't put the water too hot. Realizing that the same people who thought it would be good for you to cover yourself with huge hickies for health purposes are ones telling you not to take a shower kind of puts the warning into perspective. I know, I'm not very open minded, am I?:roll:

No, it wasn't recreational. I had a monster cold and a Chinese friend force fed me soup and her idea of medicine, then told me to shut up and lie down. I don't know which one did the trick, but I felt much better within about a day. It wasn't terribly painful, more like uncomfortable. Afterwards, my back was perhaps slightly numb, but I can't say there's any recreational attraction.

I had it done because of some strange pain during a massage. It did make the pain go away but, like you, I looked like I had been beaten up... badly! Isn't it annoying that these irrational unscientific things seem to work?!

By the way, Mike, your Mongolia photo has been a great hit since my return to Oz...

:-)

Mado