Chinese-Forums

Doing business in China

Crivens200

I wonder if anyone here can give me some advice on implementing a business in China and the legality of it.

My company exports goods out of China, mainly to the UK. I am based here, checking quality at factory and processing the orders. The product that we sell to the UK is not readily available to buy retail in China – mainly because nobody really thinks Chinese people would use it, but I was wanting to test market the product to see if it’s sellable in China.

I wonder what the legal restrictions might be? I would be a foreigner selling goods in China, manufactured in a Chinese factory. I would prefer to try this myself rather than with a Chinese partner who would probably rip off my idea and dump me if it takes off. Certainly don’t want to do it together with the factory either!

Is it legal for me, as a foreigner, to set up my own small business?

Pretty difficult I'm afraid. Best to get a partner for the sake of licensing and have things very clearly spelled out between the two of you. Also, make sure you hold the keys. Someone can be your partner without knowing anything. He doesn't have to know your contacts at the factory or anything.

A license by yourself is difficult if you are small.