Chinese-Forums

havent been able to login to MSN in almost a week (BLCU)

babygodzilla

anyone in BLCU dorm #17 can connect to MSN? ive run virus scans, spyware scans, adware scans, turned off useless programs, turned off my firewall, unplug my computer from the router, and everything else short of formatting my computer and i still can't login. it's so so so annoying. my friend said she can't login either, so ive determined that the problem is not on my end but probably on CERNET's end.

anyone have any suggestions? how do i say "ports" in Chinese?

"can you check if the necessary ports are closed?"

"maybe you closed the necessary ports"

i dunno, what should i ask CERNET?

Port is 端口, but MSN comes with a troubleshooter that lets you check whether the ports are accessible, I have to use it every time I want to log in (also because of port problems.) Click on "Troubleshoot" in the error message after login failed.

i did do that, and the tests are sometimes successful, but mostly failed at Key Ports. i also did the TCP test and that is usually OK, the message even says "You can connect to the server" or something to that effect. but nope, can't connect..

btw the error status is mostly, but not always, 8100036 or something like that. always telling me to check if im connected to the internet. but by jesus christ im posting on this forum so unless i must be connected to the damn internet.

ha! not even! the login is simply unsuccessful the first oh 100 TIMES. yea my success rate is 1 in 100.

my girlfriend at the BLCU Conference Center can login just fine. She's also on the same ISP. Im pretty sure this is Cernet's fault, 3 of my friends can't login either and I don't think our computers are all broken.

hmm. MSN doesn't work at BNU any more. In fact, most foreign websites don't load. A couple of quick checks earlier showed DNS issues, but now it seems it's just stupidly slow. I tried a free wireless point across the road and that had the same problem.

Takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each page here (chinese-forums) to load, and the usually time out before they've completed.

so i went to CERNET today and the technician said that these past few days it's been very hard for THE WHOLE FUCKIN COUNTRY to logon to MSN. he can't login either at his office.

WTF??? are they actually trying to block MSN??

and yea i can confirm the slowness about websites also. it's taken me some great effort and patience to load this site. don't even talk about foreign websites, not even local websites can load normally. I was trying to use www.xunlei.com, and that trickled like a fart. anyone know how to use Xunlei by the way?

god i miss my internet at home... it may be more expensive but at least its more reliable...

After the earthquake, MSN was probably the only app that worked better for me than ever before... I don't need to go through the troubleshooter every time anymore.

Interestingly, I am subscribed to the RSS feed for Xinhua's IT news, and the ease (or lack thereof) of accessing MSN makes headlines there every day...