Chinese-Forums

Earthquake in Taiwan - access to international websites close to impossible

gougou

We're hosted in Manchester. It's not a licensing / content issue - I could get an ICP license if I wanted, I reckon, although I might lose it again if anyone paid attention. It's just that I prefer to have the site hosted overseas and the most reliable hosting company I know happens to be in the UK.

Everything (Yahoo, SMTP, POP3, FTP) seems to be back to normal in Beijing. How much of that is due to an improving situation and how much due to reduced contention over the weekend I don't know.

it seems that you lot in Beijing have had it easy!!

I daresay the bigger cities got first dibs on bandwidth, but also worth noting that those with problems won't have been able to get on here to complain about them :wink:

Hard to say how much of an impact this has had on visitor numbers as it was over the holiday period when numbers fall anyway. From a business point of view, this was probably a pretty good time for it to happen.

Re: proxies. I use proxify.com. which is a paid, web-based, proxy. Don't use it that often, but it's cheap. It hasn't been great over the last few days, but it has allowed reliable, if slow, access to the Internet.

True, but now I spend even more time in front of my computer, hitting that refresh button for hours on end...

It's reminded me of when I was a kid and the power lines got knocked out by storms. It'll turn on this time. Click. Ok, this time. Click. Ok, I'll count to ten and then . . .

In more positive news from Beijing, my local supermarket now stocks Doritos, and they taste like proper Doritos too, rather than a half-hearted effort for the local market (hearing me, Pringles?) . . .

I think Roddy is eating up the bandwidth:)

Because for me and others I know here in BJ it is still dragging. Much better than before but still several minutes for a page load.

a relevant post and subsequent posts. Found proxies are good too but won't let me sign in.

• 5 weeks later...

I seem to be pretty much back up to speed. Getting FTP access to sites I haven't been able to get to for the last few weeks, which I'm actually kind of ambivalent about as it means I should really do some work on them . . .

Bandwidth still seems slow at peak times. Last evening I D/L a torrent (The Apprentice) and got it only up to 50-60K/s here in HK. Finished it this morning with 120K/s.

Before it wasn't unusual to get it up to 300+K/s

But generally speaking, it's getting back to "ok".