Chinese-Forums

age, goals

DrZero

I'm 27, I have been studying Mandarin for 8 years, found out it's the love of my life, and now I'm using it mainly for work - I'm basically a translator/interpreter/night school language teacher - along with the other languages I know.

After a bad experience I had some time ago, I have given up the idea of working in China... at least as a businessman. Hopefully I'll get my PhD soon and enter the academic world soon, I think that'd fit me more. But still I wish I could live in Hong Kong one day... hope my Cantonese will be decent by then :cry:

I'm 23, and started learning Chinese just for fun. Now I work as an ESL teacher in Michigan, which gives me plenty of opportunities to meet new conversation partners in the area (free English for them, free Mandarin for me :wink:). For goals, I plan to use the language in friendships, work, and anywhere else I get the chance. :lol:

I'm 37. I started self-studying in London during a boring few weeks in the office, but stopped after around a year (just doinga couple of hours a week) as I realised I wasn't getting anywhere just reading the 1960's "Practical Chinese Reader" on my own.

四个现代化 anyone?

I picked Mandarin as I wanted to write the characters, thought it would be suitably hard, and also suitably trendy.

Realising that I was in a "use it or lose it" situation, I decided to take a 6 month break from IT consultancy to come to Beijing and study for a semester. It's almost over and I've loved it. I may come back (to China at least; might pick another city) and continue on a one-to-one basis with a private teacher. Who knows the future.

Wow, there are a lot of young people posting here. It's cool that learning a foreign language is so high up your list of priorities. Make the most of your enthusiasm as the opportunities to travel and study decrease after a while, making the decision to continue harder and harder.

Plus, I reckon it's easier to learn a language when you're still in the "learning" stage of your life. You're mentally prepared more for absorbing new information. Having said that, I'm in my 30s and in a class full of 18-25 year olds, and I hold my own :) They tend to be more exam focussed and I'm more talk-to-random-chinese-people-in-the-baozi-hut focussed.

We all end up with similar results (did in the mid-semester tests, anyway) but I get baozi :)

25. I first started learning because I was drawn to the characters. I was really drawn into the traditional cultural aspects, and that is what makes me continue to study to this day. The problem is that I'm interested in two other languages as well so I'm not making the progress that I'd wished for...

i envy the young ones... i remember when i moved to america when i was 14 it was easier for me to learn english, probably because i attended high school so i 不得不 had to use english all frickin day. i didnt know "what's up" on my first day LOL that's a funny experience...

now im 23 and i wish i had the memory i had when i was 14. after 1 year and a couple months living in Beijing my chinese is nowhere close to where i want it to be :oops:

im actually a little disappointed and mad at myself. i dont really have any chinese friends save for a few online, but that doesnt count of course cause i cant really speak to them using my voice. i think if i had chinese friends that would help my chinese very very much. having a girlfriend of the same nationality doesn't help me much either... i especially hate my listening. my god my Tingli sucks so much monkey ballz...

i actually kinda still wanna stay here. but because im a permanent resident of america i am by law obligated to go back to the states. i dont even know what the hell im gonna do back in the states i really wanna be fluent in this language, but that seems impossible right now... :(

I've found it easy to make Chinese friends here. Ok, some have been a bit strange, but I've also made some that I will keep in touch with long after I've returned to the UK. The trouble is that they tend to speak much better English than I do Mandarin, and although I can force a "let's speak just Mandarin for a while" period, I run out of things to say rather quickly and get bored ;)

As for having to go back to the US ... surely you can go back just for a few months (live in a china town or something lol) and then return to China?

well i did that language exchange thing once, but that just kinda didnt work out. probably because i just started learning chinese so my chinese really really sucked back then and we ended up speaking in english all the time, which is not what i wanted.

anyways, i dunno i didnt really know where to start to make chinese friends. i didnt really wanna do another language exchange. it seemed pointless. so yea...

i suppose i could go back to america then come back here. but u noe, money and all that... i wish i could get a job with an american company then be stationed in china for a year or two. thatd be the best.