Chinese-Forums

ZDT: Using ZDT for flashcards in other languages

volga_volga

I am using ZDT for my Mandarin studies and I love it. Thank you very much!

Is it possible to create flashcards in ZDT in other languages - in Tibetan, in particular? How do I create a flashcard in Tibetan? obviously I need to type in Tibetan font (which I will install on my computer) but will ZDT be able to handle it?

i guess the same question would apply to any other non-Chinese language learner wanting to use ZDT...

I really have no idea what the Tibetan language is like, but I'm guessing that the ZDT probably would not be able to support it. But if you gave me some more details on the language, maybe i could say for sure. Does it have characters and a pinyin equivalent?

Chris

thank you for your kind reply!

first of all, I am neither a linguist nor an IT person, so please forgive me for this amateur answer.

Tibetan language has alphabet consisting of characters, and there now exist versions of Tibetan keyboards and rules for input of Tibetan using latin transliteration called Wylie which functions a bit like pinyin.

I think for the Tibetan words to be inputtable into ZDT flashcards it is necessary that the fields for the (now) Chinese word input accepted input in other fonts rather than latin and Chinese (as they do now, from my experience with new flashcard input).

I have been trying to install Tibetan keyboard SW on my computer (so far with mixed results, it works in some programmes but not in others, I'll keep going) and the next step I guess is to try to input Tibetan characters from my new keyboard SW into ZDT input fields. This SW works as I explained above, you input using latin keys and it translates the input into Tibetan script.

thanks again

Olga