Chinese-Forums

Contract or Course?

Springbokke

Hi

I am moving to China (Beijing) in August with the primary aim of learning to speak Mandarin. Like most foreigners I anticipate having to support myself through teaching English. Presuming one would like a high income and an excellent education, which is more important to secure before leaving your home country?

1. A teaching contract; or

2. A place in a great Mandarin course/ school.

Or could you achieve both by simply turning up with 3 month's worth cash and networking?

Thanks

I am CELTA qualified, but have little class experience, unless you count lecturing post-grad students statistics in this category. I am currently employed full time so getting any class exposure before arriving in China will be difficult.

If it helps with your answer to my orignal question, I am 31 year old male, and have good business experience at executive management level alongside three degrees including an MBA (Australia). I have had the priviledge of traveling extensively in the last 12 years (including China), so a culture shock, although expected, I believe I can handle.

Still, I am horribly stuck on the question of securing a position before arriving (how can one honestly be sure of a good position online?) - I would definitely prefer not to sign any contract if I know I have a good chance of finding a good teaching job relatively soon after arrival.

Similarly, and the point of my relocation, are all the best Mandarin schools available for enrolment online, or are there less exposed schools that can really help you speed up your language learning?

Thanks

You seem to be very well qualified for a number of universities in Beijing. When I was looking into jobs around this time last year I found a number in Beijing that paid well enough (10,000 RMB a month), but asked specifically for someone with an MBA background + experience. It's possible you could find a university seeking someone with your exact qualifications. :D

Some general advice: I would certainly ensure a contract before arriving in China. Many schools will pay for your accommodation, meals, pick you up from the airport, show you around, etc. etc., and this makes things a hell of a lot easier (I would think) than just showing up and knocking on schools' doors.

The only obstacle in taking this course, however, is that these types of "perks" (which everyone offers, or claims to) and pay is that you are teaching full time (24ish hours a week). This often does not include lesson planning, commuting, etc. So, even though you may actually only be in the classroom for 24 hours a week, you're still looking at 40+ hours a week of work.

So, where do you fit in the time to study? Well, like me and others I'm sure, you have practically no social life. If I'm not teaching or lesson planning, I'm studying and vice versa.

I, like you, came to China solely with the goal in mind to become fluent in Mandarin. I, also like you, knew I would have to support myself in this endeavor, and teaching seemed to be the easiest way to do it. Granted, I'm not in Beijing and thus away from the temptations that a western city would offer (other expats, nice things to do, etc.).

I think it all comes down to priorities. You can certainly both teach and study full time, but don't expect time for much else if you want to see satisfactory progress in your Mandarin.

Oh, and I forgot. You can always find a private tutor who might fit your work schedule better. This is often easier for both you and your school, as opposed to having to arrange your teaching schedule around classes, which most schools, I would think, would be reluctant to agree to. I've only been studying on my own and using private tutors since I got here and I'm quite happy with my progress thus far.

Kdavid thanks for your comprehensive response - a great help! I am still a little hesitant to sign off on a contract online, but your point about the benefit in terms of hassle-free arrival is well taken.

I notice you are stationed in Harbin - would you recommend it over Beijing given your experience so far and our similarities in goal and means? I have read through the plethora of posts on the subject, but I would value your opinion here.

Does the Uni there employ English Teachers?

Thanks again

Are you qualified to teach English?

With 1000's of Chinese that are unqualified to teach to teach Chinese I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think teaching is a hard job and very frustrating. If you have the possibility, come with money to keep you afloat for that time, and then look around for things.

Beside teaching, I think there are more opportunities you can add. Try i.e. modeling, sell Chinese crap on eBay, and just keep your senses open for other possibilities.

For those in BJ now: try ski instructor. It's another lifetime challenge.

In general, do not underestimate the potential of of sport (or whatever) instructor! Chinese think very practical. They pay higher for a swimming lesson, and get a free English lesson on top!

BUT, pay will be low anyway. Depends what group you belong to. I prefer rather do nothing then work for low pay. I would then rather spend my energy as business consultant, or something I can get western pay for. China still has PLENTY of business opportunities for the smart mind.

Glad to help!

I'm sure there are a few universities around here that are hiring. I'm not sure whether HIT is (which is the place I would recommend you study Mandarin), but they just may be.

As for me, I'm working for a private language school. There are a few big ones here: Joy, Sunshine and English First. Almost all of which cater to children, which is the largest market here in China at the moment.

Again, where you want to go depends on what your priorities are and what type of personality you have. Beijing has a lot to offer in terms of things to do, whereas Harbin doesn't. Those of us up here studying really have nothing to do other than study and talk to the crazy locals or go to the same lame bars day in and day out (which, sadly, some choose to do). Harbin isn't, however, a place to come for those who easily get cabin fever. The winter keeps a lot of us inside, which is good when you're trying to learn 20 new characters a day. :D

I highly recommend Harbin to anyone who would want to be more or less forced to have no life.

Ontop of all that, the cost of living here is dirt cheap. As my school pays for my flat and meals I typically spend no more than 500 kuai a month, which allows me to send tons of money home to pay off student loans.