Chinese-Forums

Chinese American learning reading and writing

Jinix

Hi all,

I'm a Chinese American who is trying to get his career started in SH, my level of Chinese language is pretty bad when it comes to reading and writing, but other than that I can blend in pretty well. I sound pretty authentic in Mandrian and Shanghaiese. Anyways I like to improve my Chinese, but I would probably be working full time pretty soon. Any advice on how I can improve my reading and writing quickly? I think learning Chinese characters are mostly memorization with little bite of patterns. Also alot of pingyin of different words with different meanings sound alike. =/ hate memorizing stuff ><

My advice, try your best to watch some Chinese tv series. With many repetation, when the chinese characters shows up, you will get used to it. I am also, an Chinese-American, it does help, find the chinese tv series, by your own genera. Also,get used to the cultural atmosphere, slowly you will be able to adjust and blend well. Don't be shy to ask, for assistance in reading.

Try this thread

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/9243-re-learning-chinese-the-second-time

As in that thread, my suggestion is to look at some texts and course outlines in programs for people in your situation. Only difference is that the course tracks at universities for heritage learners are for people in the US not in China. Your progress should be faster, obviously. Maybe get a tutor 1x/wk if that will make you work on characters harder -- you know the potential humiliation factor (albeit under controlled circumstances) could be a good motivator.