Chinese-Forums

Bringinging prescribed narcotics in country

KATHYD

Please help me. I am unable to get an answer anywhere. I'm arriving in Shanghai on the 16th of this month or just 3 days from now. I just read that narcotics are NOT allowed into the country. I have been on a narcotic pain patch for the past three years due to chronic pain caused by a fractured hip that has not healed. This is strictly monitored by a physician at a pain clinic. Does this mean I won't be allowed into the country? I'm so worried that I'll be turned away/sent home or arrested. Does anyone have a positive answer regarding this dilemma? Thanks, Kathy

I'd be amazed if they searched your luggage. I decided not to bring pain-killers for the same fear. Now I'm kicking myself because it would have been no problem. Just in case, have a letter from your doctor, on his letterhead and "forget" to declare them.

Right. You probably won't need it, but you should at least have your written prescriptions, and keep a backup copy with your backup copy of your passport.

The question is, how long are you going to be in China, and what will you do if/when you need to refill your prescription?

I think patches are less likely to problematic than pills - less potential for abuse. And with a prescription I can't see them causing you difficulties, even in the apparently very unlikely event they do search your luggage.

EDIT: just reread the title. Try not to say things like 'Bringinging' if you do get stopped, or they might think you're patching recreationally!

i plan to go to China eventually to live and teach english before getting some business type job. i am take medication daily. i plan to stay in china for a minimum of a year. i get my medication on a month to month basis. any advice? or anywhere i can go to get answers?