Chinese-Forums

A Learning Tactic for Audio Programs and Flashcards

myann23

Hey people -

I just thought I'd like to share one of the tactics I employ in studying Mandarin. So far, I am only at the surface level of my learning, doing the Pimsleur Series and now just starting Flashcards. I will be starting Assimil by the end of the month.

I play Madden football on my PS2 whenever I listen to my Pimsleur units. I think it is a lot better than just listening to the lessons and doing nothing. Now a lot of you probably do chores listening to Pimsleur, so this is somewhat similar. The big difference is that sometimes there are simply no chores to do in the house, but with playing Madden, you can have something to do while listening Pimsleur at anytime. Plus, it's more fun and makes the time go faster.

This would also be effective for flashcards too, paper or computer-based. You could look at a character between each play, run the play, and then flip the card over to see if you were correct, then move on...HEY...WHATEVER WORKS! :mrgreen:

Oh, the first time I do a lesson I don't listen to it while playing Madden. Playing the game while doing Pimsleur does make it a bit harder, but if I am able to play the game while finishing a lesson in a satisfactory manner, I decide it's time to move on to the next lesson.

I guess Pimsleur doesn't require one's undivided attention.

No, it doesn't. It gives you the option of playing games, having sex, or just totally ignoring it. Not sure how effective those strategies are, but try them, and if any of them work for you, let me know! :wink: